Advertise with us

Academy Into Last Four

Friday 14.02.2020
Team Talk Mag


St.Patrick’s Academy Dungannon 3-12 St.Mary’s Magherafelt 1-9
St.Patrick’s Academy Dungannon turned on the style in the second half at The Loup on Thursday evening to get the better of St.Mary’s Magherafelt and become the first school to book their place in the semi-finals of this season’s Danske Bank MacRory Cup.

Luke Donnelly and Eunan McElhennon exchanged early points before a free from centre half forward Ronan McKenna edged the Derry school in front. A Mark from Luke Donnelly levelled matters before Shane Donnelly put the Academy in front. The first goal of the contest arrived in the 11th minute when a poor kickout from Magherafelt was seized upon by the academy with centre half forward Scott McCann brilliantly chipping keeper Peter McKinney.

A couple of minutes later though St.Mary’s responded with a major of their own as full forward Kevin McNicholl got on the end of a high delivery in from McKenna to flick the ball to the net. A McKenna free levelled matters before Michael O’Neill and McElhennon exchanged points as did Luke Donnelly and Finn Diamond. It was the Academy though who had the final say of the opening period with a great score from out on the right wing from Luke Donnelly leaving them 1-6 to 1-5 in front at the short whistle.

It was Donnelly who also had the opening say of the second half but by the 37th minute Magherafelt had drawn level thanks to a McKenna free and a tremendous score from out on the wing from midfielder McElhennon. The Academy came straight down the field for O’Neill to fire over an outstanding effort from distance but again Magherafelt hit back through Eunan Quinn after he had sold a neat dummy.

That left the score 1-8 apiece but at the end of the third quarter St.Mary’s Magherafelt were dealt a major blow when they lost defender Aidan McCluskey to a straight red card. Moments later another Donnelly free gave the Academy a lead that they were never to lose and they never looked back.

With ten minutes to go a high ball in from the right wing from McCann was gathered by right half back Sean McLaughlin who blasted it to the back of the Magherafelt net. The Derry school replied with a fine individual point from Conhuir Johnston but that proved to be their last score of the game and indeed their only score when going down to fourteen men which tells its own story.

Corner back Ger Teague finished off a flowing move with a point for the winners and with five minutes of normal time left on the clock they got their third goal when Paddy Kearney and Eoghan Donnelly combined for the latter to play the ball across goal were the inrushing Sean Cowan first timed it to the net. Centre half back Oisin McHugh then brought the scoring to a close with an outstanding point with the outside of his boot as the Academy booked a last four date with either Holy Trinity Cookstown or St.Pats Maghera, that game to be played back at the Loop next Tuesday evening.

St Patrick’s Academy Dungannon: F Coney, A Toner, C Skeffington, G Teague (0-1), S McLaughlin (1-0), O McHugh (0-1), P Kearney, S Daly, N McMurray, M O’Neill (0-2), S McCann (1-1), S Donnelly (0-1), S Cowan (1-0), R McHugh, L Donnelly (0-6, 0-3 F, 0-1M). Subs : R Carmichael for N McMurray, E Donnelly for R McHugh, C Devlin for S Donnelly, S Glackin for M O’Neill, D Sheehan for L Donnelly

St Mary’s Magherafelt: P McKinney; F Diamond (0-1), M McNeill, S McSorley; A McCluskey, E McEvoy, C Mallon, E McElhennon (0-3), C Fowler, E Quinn (0-1), R McKenna (0-3, 3F), D Higgins, C Johnston (0-1) K McNicholl (1-0) S Duffin. Subs : R McEldowney for S Duffin, C Ormsby for K McNicholl, J McVey for C Fowler, R Walls for C Mallon

Referee : K Faloon (Armagh)




Advertise with us