Advertise with us

Aghyaran And Dungannon Will Have To Do It All Again

Sunday 18.11.2018
Team Talk Mag


One of the most important games of the season was played on Saturday afternoon in Killyclogher. The Division 1/2 promotion/relegation playoff between Aghyaran and Dungannon Clarkes took place but after an hour’s football both sides will have to do it all again next Sunday as the game finished level at 1-7 apiece.

Dungannon played with the aid of the breeze in the first half but in spite of their hard work and early intensity they reached the break leading by only one point having shown considerable reluctance to shoot on numerous occasions.

Early scores from the boot of Patrick Molloy and Patrick Quinn suggested they would build a significant first half tally. However Aghyaran knuckled down and with Bernard Moss, Owen Devine and Cahir Moss working hard the Clarkes struggled to add to their total.

Ronan Mc Hugh, who was forced to leave the field following an injury late in the game, opened his team’s account three minutes before the break with a converted free.

Midfielder Matthew Walsh restored Dungannon’s two point differential a minute later before another Mc Hugh free left one between the sides at the break. Half time score 0-3 to 0-2 in favour of the Clarkes.

Dungannon extended their lead with a point from sub Conor Mc Kee four minutes into the second half. Aghyaran ace Mc Hugh landed his third free of the day before his team missed two clear goal chances. Not to be outdone the Clarkes midfielder Walsh also missed a glaring opportunity for a major when he flicked the bal wide when well placed to find the net on sixteen minutes.

Aghyaran were enjoying much more possession and creating chances but still trailed as the game entered the closing ten minutes. The match really ignited when Roger Leonard finished to the net on twenty one minutes after being set up by the hard working Paddy Mc Nulty.

Two minutes later another free from Mc Hugh extended the Aghyaran lead to three and it seemed it was game over for the Clarkes. Sub Keifer Morgan gave them renewed hope when his shot raised a white flag but it seemed all was in vain when Dungannon were reduced to fourteen men following a tackle on Ronan Mc Hugh which led to the county player having to leave the field.

Points from Benny Gallen (2) and  Brian Penrose put the border men in a strong position deep in injury time. Team captain Patrick Quinn and half time sub Mc Kee narrowed the gap for Dungannon as the clock ticked towards the final minutes of injury time.

Just when it seemed Aghyaran would hold on for victory Dungannon capitalised on their final chance of the game and Patrick Quinn found the net to take the game to a replay.

Final score: Aghyaran 1-7 Dungannon Clarkes 1-7




Advertise with us