Advertise with us

Another Replay Required

Friday 20.09.2019
Team Talk Mag
Championship Football


A point from substitute Conan Mc Elduff secured a draw for a determined Carrickmore side that battled back from two points down late in the game to earn a replay with Edendork in the second game of the double header at Healy Park on Friday night.

An entertaining and very pacy first half saw some superb play from both sides with Tiarnan Murray outstanding for Carrickmore and Jake Ferguson prominent in most of Edendork’s best moments.

Murray hit the first two scores for Carrickmore while a long range free from the boot of Niall Morgan and a fine effort from Jake Ferguson had the team’s level after nine minutes.

Edendork goalkeeper Morgan was then called upon to make the first of two superb first half saves to keep his team in the game. Carmen centre back Benny Mc Laughlin burst through but his shot was saved by the county man and Edendork breathed a sigh of relief. Martin Penrose and Darren Mc Curry both added a brace of points for their teams as the frenetic pace of the game continued.

Conn Kilpatrick pointed to put Edendork 0-5 to 0-4 in front but points from Barry and Ciaran Daly had Carrickmore ahead with six first half minutes remaining. Back came Edendork and scores from Mc Curry and Jake Ferguson put Damian Barton’s side a point up before a Ciaran Daly point sent the teams in at the break tied at 0-7 apiece.

The second half was slightly less frenetic but every bit as competitive. A brace of early points from Rory Grimes and Michael Donaghy had Carrickmore two up but once again Edendork responded with two fine points of their own, a Morgan free and a lovely finish from Mc Curry. The same player added another double as the East Tyrone side moved ahead.

Rather than push on for the win Edendork opted to try and keep possession. It was a dangerous choice and they were almost made to pay when Carrickmore intercepted a wayward pass and came close to snatching a goal.

Playing advantage would almost certainly have resulted in a goal for Carmen but unfortunately  for them referee Martin Sludden had already blown for a free.

Martin Penrose reduced the deficit to one with a converted free and as Carrickmore laid siege on the Edendork goal Conan Mc Elduff tied the game with a late score to earn a replay for his team.

Final score: Carrickmore 0-11, Edendork 0-11.



Advertise with us