Advertise with us

CLUB| Trillick Through To Senior Final

Sunday 27.09.2015
Team Talk Mag

The spirit of The Reds is alive and well in the current Trillick senior side and never was this more clearly demonstrated than in Pomeroy on Sunday evening.

Trillick last qualified for a senior final almost thirty years ago and this present team was comprehensively beaten in the 2014 Intermediate final by a hungry and determined Dungannon side. Some thought the Reds struggled with the mantle of favourites last year and lacked the experience to cope with the pressure that brings.


There was to be no repeat of such shortcomings in their semi final win over Coalisland on Sunday evening. Right from the off Trillick bossed possession and dictated the flow of the game.

An first minute point from Niall Gormley was cancelled almost immediately by Dermot Thornton as the early play swung from end to end. Unfortunately for Coalisland that was to be the one and only time in the match that they would be level with their opponents. A converted free from Lee Brennan in the fourth minute was added to five minutes later by Daire Gallagher before Brennan extended his team’s lead to four with two further points.


All over the field Trillick were first to the ball as Rory Brennan, Matty and Richard Donnelly and Ruairi Kelly drove The Reds forward at every opportunity. Coalisland were under pressure defensively and Niall Kerr and company were struggling to keep pace with the elusive Trillick attack. Paddy Mc Neice landed two fine points for The Fianna and narrowed the gap to three as the clock ticked towards the half time whistle. However Trillick full forward Lee Brennan had the final say when he struck over his team’s seventh score of the half deep in injury time.

Half time score: Trillick 0-7, Coalisland 0-3.

Pre-match favourites Coalisland knew they were in bother and changes were made in an attempt to wrestle control of the game. The first two scores of the half once again came from the boot of the impressive Lee Brennan and it wasn’t until ten minutes after the break that Coalisland got their first score of the second period. A point from Dermot Thornton briefly raised the Fianna hopes but such hopes were dealt a double blow when Matty Donnelly restored the six point differential and Coalisland were reduced to fourteen men. A red card for Stephen Mc Nally was followed a few minutes later by a black card for former county man Paddy Mc Neice and Coalisland’s hopes all but disappeared.

Coalisland struggled to break down a well organised Trillick defence and even when they did get through they found Trillick goalkeeper Joe Maguire in unbeatable form. Maguire made four superb stops as Coalisland threw caution to the wind. Trillick defended manfully before breaking up the field to pinch a few late scores and seal their first appearance in a senior final since 1987.

Final score: Trillick 0-13, Coalisland 0-5.



Advertise with us