Advertise with us

Dean Maguirc Win Rafferty Cup

Saturday 22.12.2018
Team Talk Mag

Dean Maguirc College Carrickmore produced a superb “sum of the parts” display at Stewartstown on Saturday afternoon to defeat a highly fancied St Pius Magherafelt side in the replayed final of the Rafferty Cup by a single point on a final score of 1-11 to 1-10.

These sides could not be separated last time out even after extra time and once again the outcome hung in the balance right down to the final seconds of the four additional minutes at the end of the second half.

Playing into the stiff breeze the Carrickmore school began slowly and found themselves 0-5 to 0-1 behind after fifteen minutes as the Magherafelt lads dominated the opening quarter.

However with Michaél Mc Cann, Patrick Quinn and Oran Toal leading the way the Dean out-scored their opponents 1-4 to 0-1 during the second quarter to reach the break leading by two. Centre back Quinn finished a superbly created goal to the net to steady his team on eighteen minutes before points from Toal, Tiarnan Teague and Michael Rafferty sent them in at half time in a decent position.

St. Pius started the second half in the same manner as they had begun the first. Mark Doherty pointed for the Derry side before Sean Conneely converted a free for the Dean to maintain the two point differential.

The Carrickmore school lost two players to harsh black cards shortly after as the game swung in favour of the Magherafelt lads with their key men Aaron Donnelly and Darragh Wade exerting greater influence. Both players landed points to level the game as momentum swung in favour of the Derry side.

However with their backs to the wall it was then that the Dean showed their spirit and character with Quinn, Mc Cann, Rafferty, Lorcan Mc Garrity and Toal leading by example.

Substitute Donall Sweeney made his presence felt inside the closing ten minutes and points from Toal, Conneely and Mc Garrity put them three in front with seven  minutes left. However Magherafelt full forward Aaron Donnelly really set the cat among the pigeons when he fired to the net to tie the game with three minutes of the sixty left on the clock.

Once again the Dean were forced to dig deep and great scores from Zak Devine and Oran Toal edged them ahead again as the match entered additional time.

Wing forward Mark Doherty pointed for the Derry school to reduce the gap to a single point and Dean nerves were tested further as the Magherafelt men pushed for the equaliser.

Superb defending from the massed Dean defence and assured handling from goalkeeper Daniel Mc Crory kept them at bay and the Dean deservedly claimed the title on a final score of 1-11 to 1-10.





















Advertise with us