Advertise with us

Division 2 Midweek Roundup

Wednesday 29.06.2011
Team Talk Mag

O’Neill’s All County Football League Division 2

Rock St Patrick’s  0-12 V Pomeroy Plunketts  1-7
Galbally Pearses  2-15 V Loughmacrory St Teresa’s  0-8
Eskra Emmetts  0-8 V Augher St Macartan’s  2-12
Killyman St Mary’s  1-11 V Stewartstown Harps  0-6
Newtownstewart St Eugene’s  0-8 V Gortin St Patrick’s  2-14
Strabane Sigersons  2-10 V Clann na Gael  1-10
Urney St Colmcille’s  0-11 V Aghyaran St Davogs  0-14

The Intermediate Football League threw up some very interesting results on Wednesday evening with Strabane giving their survival hopes a massive boost with victory over North Tyrone rivals Clann Na Gael.Stewartstown were comfortable winners over Killyman, while Augher proved too strong for Eskra. In the other games played Aghyaran and Gortin held the balance of power from their trips to Urney and Newtownstewart respectively.

Brendan McLaughlin proved to be the hero for Strabane, at Sigerson Park on Wednesday evening, as the full forward netted two second half goals to give them a priceless victory over Clann Na Gael.

Gareth McDermott opened the scoring for the visiting Clansmen, but Strabane fought back in convincing fashion hitting four successive points. John Paul Gallagher levelled proceedings in the 5th minute and, two minutes later John McLaughlin belted over before Brendan McLaughlin registered his first score of the evening.

Gallagher moved the hosts three points clear with his second score of the evening on 12 minutes and, as Clan Na Gael struggled to get going, they needed a last gasp goal line clearance from Paul Conwell to keep them in contention.

Boosted by that let off Clann Na Gael levelled the contest again in the 14th minute, when Brendan Conway struck for a goal. Gareth McDermott’s initial free fell short with Conway reacting quickly to fist past Strabane goalkeeper Conor McGrath for a 1-1 to 0-4 score line. McDermott and Ryan McGill added points and McDermott pointed again, it appeared that the visitors were going to take complete control. Strabane received a timely lift on 28 minutes, when Brendan McLaughlin lofted over his second point for a 0-5 to 1-4 deficit with Clann Na Gael having the final say of the half via the boot of Brendan Conway, as they took a three point lead into the changing rooms.

Within thirty seconds of the restart Strabane were level, as Brendan McLaughlin struck for a goal. McLaughlin tagged on a point and, then in the 4th minute he powered through to find the visiting net again and, it was a score that proved decisive as they forced out a a 2-6 to 1-5 advantage. A Clann Na Gael rally yielded points from Danny Ball and Joe Ball but Strabane cancelled that out with a John Paul Gallagher free conversion in the 13th minute. Ryan McGill and Warner Mullan traded points, as the game slipped into the final quarter and, even though Cathal McGill added to the visiting total Strabane continued to hold on. Brendan McLaughlin pointed in the 20th minute with Gallagher following up two minutes later for a decisive four point cushion. Gareth McDermott had the final score of the evening, but it was Strabane, who were celebrating the derby bragging rights as they moved above Killyman and Newtownstewart in the table.

Augher returned to winning ways in the Division Two League ranks thanks to a comfortable 2-12 to 0-8 win over Eskra, at Emmett Park on Wednesday evening.

The St Macartans had a first minute penalty saved by the home goalkeeper and, boosted by his leadership they forced a two point lead by the 11th minute after Paul Turbett and Joe McCarroll registered points. Augher opened their account in the 13th minute, when Jamie Donnelly tapped over a free. Ryan Gartland and Donnelly swapped points before Aaron Kelly split the posts to give Eskra a 4-2 lead after 20 minutes play.

Two minutes later Augher were in front, when Tyrone star Aidan Cassidy who was moved into full forward struck for the opening goal of the evening. Conor Hackett with a point either side of two further Donnelly frees, as the visitors went in for the half time cuppa holding onto a 1-5 to 0-4 lead.

Within a minute of the restart Jamie Donnelly pointed again to increase Augher’s lead and, even though Turbett responded for the hosts, they were struggling to keep in touch. In the 6th minute Augher effectively ended the game as a contest when substitute Martin McElhatton took a pass from Donnelly and with his first touch found the back of the net for a decisive 2-6 to 0-5 lead. Donnelly added two further points with Joe McCarroll converting a free on 46 minutes for an out of sorts home side.

McElhatton pointed before Damien McElroy added to their tally on 18 minutes. Turbett and McCarroll came back with successive Eskra points, but the damage was done as Donnelly (his eight of the evening) and Hackett completed the scoring to seal an impressive Augher win as they alleviated their relegation worries.

Stewartstown piled further pressure on struggling Killyman, when they visited St Mary’s Park midweek and, emerged comfortable eight point, 0-6 to 1-11 winners.

The Harps were 1-3 ahead by the time Killyman opened their account. Peter Armour racing onto a long delivery in from midfield to score the goal, with Gareth Devlin supplying all three points. Further scores from Peter Armour and Anton Coyle helping the visitors into a match winning 1-6 to 0-3 half time lead.

In the second half Stewartstown continued to dominate proceedings with James Kelly and Mickey Mulgrew having goals disallowed for square ball incidents while Gareth Devlin saw a penalty saved by the home goalkeeper. They did keep the score board ticking over with points from Kelly, Paul Dillon and Armour as they enjoyed a comfortable outing that has moved them back into fourth place in the table.

Elsewhere, Newtownstewart slumped to a hefty defeat against a Kevin Mossey inspired Gortin team. The visitors were 3-0 ahead before Brendan Boyle provided the St Eugene’s opening score of the contest, but even though Damian Coyle and Damien Duffy added further home scores to leave the score reading 4-3 after 21 minutes the visiting St Patrick’s tagged on the final six points of the half for a comfortable 0-10 to 0-3 lead. Damian Coyle and Brendan Boyle hit two of the opening three points on the restart, but two goals in the 48th and 52nd minutes saw Gortin running out comfortable winners.

Up North Tyrone star Martin Penrose played a leading role, as Aghyaran enjoyed a derby win over Urney in a decent tussle, at Chutt Park.

The St Davog’s held sway 0-8 to 0-4 at the half time whistle with Johnny Lafferty hitting three of the Urney points. In the second half Lafferty, Mark Devine, Paul Logue and substitute Rory Lynch all registered points as the St Columba’s got the gap down to a single point, but Aghyaran finished strongly to record a welcome victory.



Advertise with us