Advertise with us

Division 2 Wrap Up

Sunday 15.05.2011
Team Talk Mag

Loughmacrory got their season back on track with a hard fought 1-13 to 0-11 victory over Aghyaran at home today. The Lough started well and were four points to no score up after ten minutes with their scores coming from Mark Mc Cullagh and three Enda Ward frees. However Aghyaran hit something of a purple patch and with Ronan Mc Namee and Shane Sweeney driving them on they hit six in a row. Points from Enda Ward and Niall Donaghy ensured the teams went in at the break level.

The restart saw a big improvement in the home side and they had the perfect start with a goal from midfielder John Gallagher three minutes into the second half. Aghyaran’s play became very ragged and as their frustration grew they had two players sent off. Loughmacrory continued to dominate the game and Enda Ward finished the game with a personal tally of 0-9 but the highlight in scoring terms was an excellent individual effort by Aarron Kelly point having carried the ball almost the length of the field. The game was excellently refereed by Errigal man Fergal Ward.

Pomeroy recovered from their shock home defeat to Urney last week when they walloped Augher 1-20 to 1-7. The home side led 10 points to 5 at the break with Christopher Colhoun and Sean Murphy on target for the Plunketts while Jamie Donnelly hit four first half frees for his side. Pomeroy turned on the style in the second half and Murphy and Sean Quinn took some fine scores with their goal coming from Christopher Colhoun. Augher got a late goal from Conor Hackett but his side were well beaten long before the end.

Galbally travelled to Gortin and suffered a four point reversal losing 1-12 to 1-8 against a Kevin Mossey inspired host team. Mossey hit seven first half points as his side led 0-10 to 1-4 at the break with Galbally’s goal coming from James Lennon. The Pearses reduced the gap to the minimum in the second half following a couple of Paul Rafferty frees but Mossey continued to dominate the game scoring nine points in total and ensuring his side held on for victory.

Edendork had four points to spare as they defeated Urney 0-16 to 1-9 in what was a very competitive game. The home side led nine points to three at the break with Karl Mc Guckin and Brian O’Rourke on target for their side. Niall Morgan and O’Rourke increased the lead after the break but then Johnny Lafferty hit 1-3 and the St. Malachy’s seemed rattled for a while. However three Niall Morgan frees settled his side and they held on to win by four points.

Eskra had a comfortable 1-12 to 0-5 win at home today over Newtownstewart as they held  their opponents to a single score in the second half. The opening thirty minutes was a fairly close affair but the Emmetts led at the break 1-4 to 0-4 with their goal coming from Paul Meegan while Brendan Boyle got a few points for Newtown. However the second half was a procession for Eskra who out-scored the Newtown lads eight points to one during that period with Joe Marlowe, Peter Hughes and Ryan Gartland accounting for all but one of their eight second half scores.

County captain Brian Dooher returned to action for his club today as they travelled to Stewartstown and defeated the home side by two points 1-13 to 1-11. The Clan made a great start as Stevie O’Neill and Gareth Mc Dermott put them five points ahead inside the opening fifteen minutes. Stewartstown however settled to the task and with Paul Dillon and Gareth Devlin to the fore they reduced the gap to two points at the break 1-6 to 0-7 with Clan na Gael’s goal coming from Sean O’Kane. The second half was a very competitive affair and both sides finished with fourteen men. County man O’Neill knocked over four fine points while Stewartstown’s Ryan Devlin grabbed a goal for his side but the visitors held on to win by two and continue their climb up the table.

Rock and Kildress played out the match of the day in Division Two at Rock as both sides produced some top quality football and a never say die attitude that made sure the game ended in a draw. The home side had the perfect start with an Aidan Mc Garrity goal in the first minute as they faced the elements for the opening half. However Kildress used all their craft and experience as they controlled the remainder of the half to lead at the break by seven 0-13 to 1-3. Frank Mc Gurk scored six points for Kildress in what was a fine individual performance during the first half. The second half was every bit as competitive and intense as Rock battled to close the gap. Three Conor Mc Creesh points and a fine score from Ciaran Gourley for Rock drew the sides level and the game ended Rock 1-14, Kildress 0-17.



Advertise with us