Advertise with us

Dublin’s Impressive Second Half Sees Off Tyrone

Saturday 03.02.2018
Team Talk Mag




Tyrone are still looking for their first league points after two outings as All Ireland champions Dublin produced a fine second half display at Healy Park to come from behind to claim victory.


The home side kicked thirteen wides over the course of the game but on the night Dublin deserved their win with the strength of their panel coming to the fore, their bench contributed 1-3.


Tyrone greeted the short whistle 1-7 to 1-5 in front and it could have been better for them as they kicked six wides to their opponents two. After a poor display in Galway a week earlier Tyrone were determined to make a good start and they certainly got that.


Cathal McShane opened the scoring after only ten seconds and in the 5th minute the same player took a pass from Connor McAliskey to first time the ball to the net past keeper Stephen Cluxton.


Kevin McManamon then opened Dublin’s account with a point from play and that was followed by a free from Dean Rock. Lee Brennan responded with a quality point for the hosts and while Rock had a Dublin free it was the home side who were on top.


Tyrone were playing with great intensity and a superb effort from play from McAliskey was followed by a Brennan free for a four point advantage. In the 23rd minute though Dublin were right back in contention when a long range Brian Fenton free broke and Ciaran Kilkenny first timed to the net.


The home side though wasted no time in responding with a terrific Brennan point before a brief melee broke out that involved a number of players from both sides.


Kilkenny landed a brilliant point from out on the left wing but that score was quickly cancelled out with a quality strike from Peter Harte. The visitors were then unlucky not to take the lead when a thunderbolt from Kilkenny came back off the crossbar.


Rock knocked over his third free of the half but it was Tyrone who had the final say through McAliskey for a 1-7 to 1-5 lead at the short whistle.


Whatever was said to Dublin at the break had the desired outcome as they were a different side after the restart.  Scores from Rock, James McCarthy and Brian Fenton had them ahead within five minutes and they never looked back.


McManamon and man of the match Kilkenny added points and despite losing Niall Scully to a second yellow card they were always on top. It took Tyrone until the 28th minute to open their second half account through Niall Sludden but minutes later a mistake at the back gifted a goal to Eoghan O’Gara.


Dublin substitute Colm Basquel kicked two from play and one from a free and while Brennan landed three late points for Tyrone it was all over by that stage.



Tyrone: N Morgan; C McLaughlin, C McCarron, HP McGeary; T McCann, P Hampsey, P Harte (0-1); M Donnelly, D McClure; R Donnelly, N Sludden (0-1), A McCrory; L Brennan (0-6, 3f), C McShane (1-1), C McAliskey (0-2). Subs: M McKernan for McGeary, R McNamee for McCrory, C McCann for McClure, F Burns for R Donnelly, R McNabb for McLaughlin, M Bradley for T McCann


Dublin: S Cluxton; P McMahon, M Fitzsimons, D Daly; J Cooper, J McCarthy (0-1), J Small; B Fenton (0-1), MD Macauley; B Howard, C Kilkenny (1-2), N Scully; P Mannion, D Rock (0-4, 4f), K McManamon (0-2). Subs: D Byrne for Small, P Andrews for McManamon, C Basquel (0-3, 1f) for Mannion, E O’Gara (1-0) for Rock, S Carthy for McCarthy, E Lowndes for Fenton


Referee: M Deegan, Laois



Advertise with us