Advertise with us

Eire Óg Through To Ulster Semi Final

Sunday 05.11.2023
Team Talk Mag


Eire Óg and Lisbellaw met once again in the quarter final of the Ulster Intermediate Championship on Sunday afternoon at Pairc Colmcille serving up a real ding dong battle that went to extra time before the home side emerged victorious on a final score of 2-17 to 2–13.

The Fermanagh side made the perfect start with a goal in their first attack from the very impressive Caolan Duffy. Lisbellaw settled quickly and even though Justy Kelly and Conor Grogan fired over points for Eire Óg it was the Fermanagh side that looked sharpest early on. Exchanges were tough but fair as the visitors moved three clear following points from Caolan Duffy and Sean Corrigan.

Although they were not enjoying much possession they reduced the deficit to a point following a point apiece from Bryan Mc Gurk and the hardworking Conor Grogan. However Lisbellaw showed their intent with three points in a row to lead 1-5 to 0-4 with ten minutes of the half remaining.

Justy Kelly and Sean Óg Grogan added points to narrow the gap but the half ended with the Fermanagh team 1-6 to 0-6 in front following a free from the very accurate Luca Mc Cusker.

Defences remained on top as scores were hard to come by but further Lisbellaw points from Francis Mc Brien and Luca Mc Cusker had them five clear fifteen minutes into the second half. A point apiece from Ruairi Slane and Aidy Kelly gave Eire Óg a foothold before Mc Brien made it a four point game again.

Eire Óg needed a shot in the arm and got it from Johnny Munroe as the dual star began to run at the Lisbellaw defence. Ruairi Slane, Cormac Munroe, Conor Grogan and Bryan Mc Gurk also began to ask questions of the Fermanagh defence and Sean Óg Grogan hit the net to leave it a one point game. Conor Grogan struck over a superb score to tie the game but Lisbellaw’s Luca Mc Cusker showed nerves of steel from a long distance free to put his team one up with three minutes remaining.

With time running out Johnny Munroe drove forward playing a neat one two before finding himself in on the goalkeeper. His shot cleared the crossbar levelling the game at 1-10 apiece and took the game to extra time.

Although Luca Mc Cusker opened the scoring in the first half of extra time for Lisbellaw, Eire Óg were the better side for the remainder of the game. Dermot Begley levelled matters before Sean Óg Grogan grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck hitting 1-1 inside two minutes. The goal came following a superb run and pass from Ruairi Slane before Dermot Begley rounded off the scoring with a well struck free to leave the extra time half time score Eire Óg 2-13, Lisbellaw 1-11.

Lisbellaw upped the ante after the break but Eire Óg stood strong with birthday boy Conor Mc Elhatton, Dean Rafferty, Oran Mc Kee and Dermot Begley outstanding. Mark Slevin plundered a goal for Lisbellaw but Eire Óg kept them at arms’ length and late points from Sean Óg Grogan and Justy Kelly secured the win and a semi final clash with Creggan.

Full Time Score: Eire Óg 2-17 Lisbellaw 2-13





Advertise with us