Advertise with us

Errigal Ciaran Survive Scare To Advance

Saturday 24.09.2022
Team Talk Mag
Championship Football

Errigal Ciaran 1-15 Moy 1-10

Errigal Ciaran justified their favourites tag to advance to the last eight of the LCC Tyrone Senior championship but not before they survived an almighty scare against Moy at Pearse Park in Galbally on Saturday afternoon.


The men from the Moy defied their underdogs tag to really take the game to their opponents and an upset looked to be on the cards when they had established a 1-7 to 0-3 lead at the break. Moy were full value for that advantage as they confidently took the game to the Dunmoyle based men. Halftime substitutes Ruairi Canavan and Mark Kavanagh made a massive change to the outcome of the contest as they weighed in with half a dozen points between them as the winners got their noses in front at the beginning of the final quarter before a late Joe Oguz goal sealed a quarter final meeting with Dungannon.


Michael Conroy opened the scoring from forty metres but Oguz levelled before Odhran Robinson and Ryan Coleman exchanged points. Errigal Ciaran went twenty seven minutes without scoring as Moy got on top. Jamie Coleman, Ryan Coleman, Conroy and Colm Cavanagh all weighed in with quality points and with the latter controlling the defensive “D” Moy were motoring nicely. A minute into injury time a long ball forward from Michael Carson was won by Conroy who finished in style past Darragh McAnenly and while Errigal Ciaran had the final say via a Darragh Canavan free it was Moy who had a spring in their step as they went to the changing rooms.


Ruairi Canavan made an immediate impact with a great score in the opening seconds and that was quickly followed by a free from Captain Tommy Canavan and one from play from Darragh Canavan. A Michael Conroy free got Moy a much needed score in the 39th minute but by the time they troubled the umpires again they were chasing the game.


Great work from Darragh Canavan saw him go past three men before offloading for wing back Cormac Quinn to blast over and straight from the next kick out Ruairi Canavan landed a beauty from out on the right wing. All the momentum was now with Errigal Ciaran and they kept the pressure on by winning a number of Moy kick outs in a row which yielded points for Tommy, Ruairi and Darragh Canavan to leave it all square at the end of the third quarter, 1-8 to 0-11.


Good work from Niall Kelly saw him pick out Kavanagh who took a score from the resulting mark and after Moy had missed a couple of frees Kavanagh weighed in with a great score from play from distance. In the 28th minute it was game over when Darragh Canavan cut in from the left before squaring the ball for Oguz to palm to the net from close range. Conroy scored from play as well as from a free either side of Errigal losing Ciaran Quinn to a second booking before Peter Harte had the final say of the game when he fisted over the bar.


Errigal Ciaran – Darragh McAnenly, Ciaran Quinn, Aidan McCrory, Dermot Morrow, Cormac Quinn (0-1), Niall Kelly, Peter Og McCartan, Peter O’Hanlon, Peter Harte (0-1), Ben McDonnell, Tommy Canavan (0-1, 1F), Padraig McGirr, Odhran Robinson (0-1), Darragh Canavan (0-4, 3F), Joe Oguz (1-1). Subs: Mark Kavanagh for O’Hanlon (0-2, 1M), Ruairi Canavan (0-4) for McGirr, Cathal Corrigan for Robinson, Ciaran McGinley for Tommy Canavan


Moy – Phillip Mallon, Eunan Deeney, Mark Gribbin, Ronan O’Hanlon, Michael Carson, Thomas Conlon, Patrick Lavery, Steve Donaghy, Colm Cavanagh (0-1), Adam Donaghy, Declan Conroy, Matthew Laverty, Michael Conroy (1-6, 4F), Ryan Coleman (0-2, 2F), Jamie Coleman (0-1). Ryan Lavery for Matthew Laverty, Michael Jordan for Patrick Lavery


Referee – Gary Gormley, Drumquin



Advertise with us