Advertise with us

Exciting Finishes In Pomeroy Double Header

Saturday 29.09.2018
Team Talk Mag
Championship Football


A large crowd were in attendance at Pomeroy on Saturday for an exciting pair of games where the outcome in both was up for grabs right to the end.

In the LCC Intermediate game Owen Roes pushed Augher all the way but came up short by two points missing several great chances of scores in the closing fifteen minutes that could have changed the outcome of the match.

In the senior game Ardboe proved that perseverance and hard work are more often than not rewarded with success as they pipped pre match favourites Trillick with a Shay Mc Guigan match winning point right at the end.

Augher were hugely impressive in the first half with Darragh Kavanagh and Darragh Donnelly very much to the fore as the St. Macartans reached the break leading 0-10 to 0-3. They began the second half with two fine points inside the opening minute from Michael Mc Elhatton and Aidan Cassidy which seemed to knock the stuffing out of Barry Treacy’s side.

However a goal from Niall Mc Aleer gave the north Tyrone lads renewed hope . Points from Cathal and Ryan Mc Shane narrowed the gap further to cause some nerves among the Augher support. The loss of Aidan Cassidy heightened that sense of unease as Owen Roes went for broke. Fortunately Kavanagh and Eoghan Keenan landed points to ensure Augher joined Gortin the the semi finals of the LCC Intermediate Championship even though a second Owen Roes goal reduced the gap to two.

Ardboe showed plenty of character and self belief as they came from four down at the break to win on a final score of 2-8 to 1-10.

Trillick led by four after eight minutes with three Lee Brennan points and one from centre back Mc Carron. The loughshore lads rose to the challenge and fine scores from Michael Lynn, Michael Cassidy and Michael O’Neill saw them reach the break trailing by four.

The second half was even more competitive than the first. The sides exchanged goals five minutes into the second half as James Garrity netted for Trillick only to see Ardboe respond immediately with a well worked team goal from David Mulgrew.

Both defences remained on top with the result that chances and scores were hard to come by. Trillick added two points over the course of the remaining twenty five minutes while Ardboe looked they were going to kick themselves out of it as they missed several great chances of points.

With thirteen minutes remaining a quick free from Kyle Coney found Shay Mc Guigan in space and unmarked twenty metres from goal. The experienced former county man raced forward and made no mistake as he bagged his team’s second goal to level the game.

Trillick showed considerable character as they pushed for a result and once again Mc Carron pointed to put them ahead with time running out. Mulgrew levelled for Ardboe with a fine point and just when a draw and extra time looked certain up popped Mc Guigan with the winner.

Final score:Ardboe 2-8, Trillick 1-10.


Advertise with us