Advertise with us

Galbally Claim Intermediate Title After Epic Battle

Sunday 06.10.2019
Team Talk Mag
Championship Football


Galbally Pearses claimed their first championship title in over sixty years when they defeated Pomeroy Plunketts by a single point after a high quality game that ebbed and flowed throughout.

A huge crowd descended on Healy Park to watch one of the matches of the year as both teams put on an exhibition of football that enthralled all those present.

Galbally looked leaden footed and all at sea early on as Pomeroy settled quickly and raced into a four point lead following scores from Denver Nugent, Ryan Loughran, Ollie Mc Creesh and Brendan Burns. The Plunketts were attacking in waves and dominating possession but they suffered a setback when goalkeeper Martin Mc Creesh was injured and had to leave the field.

That break in play afforded Galbally the opportunity to catch their breath and reorganise. The Pearses took full advantage and outscored their opponents over the closing fifteen minutes ten points to three to go in at the break 0-10 to 0-7 in front. Ronan Nugent, Declan Murphy and Cormac Donnelly landed points to kickstart the Galbally response. Further scores from Liam Rafferty, Enda Mc Garrity, Conor Donaghy and Daniel Kerr ensured the men in blue went in at the break in a strong position.

Galbally’s Ronan Nugent raced through after the restart to register his team’s first point of the second half. Further scores from Daniel Kerr, Mark Donnelly and Cormac Donnelly edged Galbally six in front but points from Ollie Mc Creesh and Frank Burns (2) kept Pomeroy in the game.

There was little between the teams as Enda Mc Garrity and Kieran Mc Geary swapped scores. A Liam Rafferty point put Galbally five clear with less than ten minutes left. Pomeroy refused to throw in the towel and three points from Ollie Mc Creesh had Galbally nerves jangling before they forced a fantastic save from the Galbally keeper Liam Óg Mc Auley.

Daniel Kerr pointed to leave three points between the teams as the game entered injury time. Pomeroy responded immediately and Frank Burns drove through the Galbally defence to hit the net and tie the game.

Lesser  sides would have buckled following such a body blow but The Pearses showed great character to fashion another chance. Daniel Kerr and Liam Rafferty combined for the latter to score a superb point.

The Pearses regained possession and opted to defend deeply. Pomeroy tried hard to force a mistake from their opponents but Galbally demonstrated great composure to run the clock down and take the title on a final score of 0-18 to 1-14.


Advertise with us