Advertise with us

Galbally Leave It Late

Saturday 08.10.2022
Team Talk Mag
Championship Football

LCC Tyrone IFC Semi Final
Galbally 1-11 Killeeshil 0-12

Galbally left it late on Friday night before they emerged 1-11 to 0-12 winners over a very disappointed Killeeshil side who pushed the Pearses all the way and came agonisingly close to knocking the pre-match favourites out. The LCC Intermediate Championship semi final was highly entertaining and hugely competitive and with fourteen minutes of the second half remaining Killeeshil looked set for a place in the final as they led 0-11 to 1-4. However with Conor Donaghy in fine form the Pearses fought their way back into the contest and took the game to extra time with a huge Donaghy point. Three further Donaghy points sealed the win and sent Galbally through to the final much to the relief of the huge Galbally support that remained on the pitch at Healy Park long after the final whistle had sounded.

Killeeshil made light of their underdogs tag as they bossed the opening half to lead 0-7 to 1-2 at the break. Their pace, movement, support play and all round disciplined tackling had Galbally chasing shadows. Paul O’Neill and Gary Reilly were absolutely superb around the middle while Matthew Mc Cusker, Bernard O’Neill, Liam Hughes and Liam Traynor were a yard faster to every ball.

The game was being played on Killeeshil’s terms with Pascal Donaghy, Tomas Hoy and Jason Doyle causing havoc every time the ball was played into the Pearses’ defence. Points from Hoy and Pascal Donaghy had Killeeshil three clear as Galbally struggled to get into the game. The favourites got their opening score of the game when Conor Donaghy converted  a tenth minute penalty after Enda Mc Garrity had been fouled.

The same player added two points to his tally but it was Killeeshil who finished the half strongly with further points from Pascal Donaghy, Paul O’Neill and Jason Doyle to leave the half time score 0-7 to 1-2 in favour of the hoops. However they would be starting the second half down to fourteen after Liam Hughes received a black card right on the stroke of half time.

Galbally introduced Daniel Kerr for the second half and although plainly not fully fit he did give his team more options. He opened the second half scoring with a converted free to reduce the gap to a single point.

Killeeshil may have been a man short but their work rate if anything improved and by the time they went back up to fifteen players they had moved four clear following three points without reply from Pascal Donaghy. Conor Donaghy and the outstanding Paul O’Neill swapped scores before Galbally hit something of a purple patch as the game entered the last quarter. Two Daniel Kerr scores and another converted Donaghy free left a point between the sides but it took a huge Donaghy free to tie the game deep in injury time and take the game to extra time.

Full time core Galbally 1-11, Killeeshil 0-12

Extra time saw Killeeshil run out of legs and in a low scoring twenty minutes of football Jason Doyle put Killeeshil 0-12 to 1-8 in front but from then until the end it was all about Conor Donaghy’s accuracy from placed balls with two fine frees and a converted forty five to see Galbally home on a final score of 1-11 to 0-12.

SCORERS: Galbally – Conor Donaghy 1-8, Daniel Kerr 0-3

KILLEESHIL- Pascal Donaghy 0-7, Paul O’Neill 0-2, Jason Doyle 0-2, Tomas Hoy 0-1



Advertise with us