Advertise with us

Holders Taken Out by UUJ

Wednesday 31.01.2018
Team Talk Mag

University Ulster Jordanstown booked their place in the quarter final of the 2018 Sigerson Cup after they proved too strong for a spirited St Mary’s University College at a wintery Woodlands on Wednesday afternoon.  The reigning champions were well in the game at the break but couldn’t cope with the superior fire power of the Jordanstown men in the second half.


Killyclogher man Mark Bradley opened the UUJ account from long range in the 3rd minute and might well have been four ahead were it not for an excellent save from Mark Reid in the St Mary’s goals two minutes later.  Lee Brennan hit the first of 0-6 points for UUJ from a dead ball in the 7th minute before the Ranch finally opened their account through a long range point from wing half forward Stephen McConville.


Jordanstown opened the gap to two points once again thanks to Ryan McAnespie just ahead of two St Mary’s scores via the boot of Cathal McShane. Those two scores energised the Falls Road men and by the quarter hour mark they had a 0-4 to 0-3 lead after Oisin O’Neill landed a long range free.  O’Neill followed that score up with another free in the 17th minute before a significant turning point.


Cathal McShane won possession, cut in the from left hand side of the box before crashing a shot off the crossbar.  Had the goal come St Mary’s would have gone five up but they had to settle for a one point lead seconds later as Ryan McAnespie fired over to leave the scoreline 0-5 to 0-4.   Niall Toner and Oisin O’Neill then put St Mary’s three ahead seven minutes from the break.


Lee Brennan kept UUJ within touching distance ahead of the short whistle landing frees in the 24th and 27th minute as the Ranch took a one point lead into the break.  St Mary’s 0-7 UUJ 0-6.


With the words of Benny Hurl, Barry Dillon and Paul Rouse burning in their ears Jordanststown set about dominating the scoring in the second half.  Daire Gallagher (UUJ) and Darragh Kavanagh (St Mary’s) swapped the opening two scores of the second half before UUJ drew level through Niall Madine. Ronan McNamee thumped over a long range point in the 37th minute which would put Jordanstown into a lead that they wouldn’t lose again. The Poly pushed on with Bradley, Brennan and Danny Tallon landing scores to put them 0-12 to 0-8 ahead.  By the 47th minute that lead was out to five points thanks to Mark Bradley.


Madine and Bradley heaped on the pressure to ease UUJ six ahead with eight minutes to go.  Oisin O’Neill and Lee Brennan hit a point for their respective sides in the closing stages with substitute Terence O’Brien and Brennan completing the scoring for Jordanstown.  Oisin O’Neill did manage a consolation goal in the dying seconds when he drilled his free to the net past Sean Fox.


Final Score : UUJ 0-17 St Mary’s 1-9


UUJ Scorers:

Lee Brennan 0-6

Mark Bradley 0-3

Ryan McAnespie 0-2

Danny Tallon 0-2

Daire Gallagher 0-1

Niall Madine 0-1

Ronan McNamee 0-1

Terence O’Brien 0-1


St Mary’s Scorers:

Oisin O’Neill 1-4

Cathal McShane 0-2

Darragh Kavanagh 0-1

Stephen McConville 0-1

Niall Toner 0-1



Advertise with us