Advertise with us

Kildress Efficiency Sees Them Home

Monday 01.10.2012
Team Talk Mag

Fixture: Owen Roes v Kildress

Score: 1-8 to 0-13

Owen Roes will wonder how it’s Kildress and not them that are preparing for the 2012 Minor League final after a two point loss in Greencastle on Sunday. The North Tyrone side were on top for most of the game, but determined defending by Kildress, and an efficiency in front of the sticks by their attackers saw them into the decider against Stewartstown.

It was Kildress who started the contest best, and against a strong wind chalked up an early 0-3 to no score lead. A free kick worked short to Stephen Harper allowed Owen Roes to get started and Cathal McShane’s placed kick suggested the game was going to be nip and tuck.

Within seconds of McShane’s score, Charles O’Doherty had levelled matters as he pounced on a keeper’s error to clip over.

Kildress’ placed kicking was on the money all day, and it was a dead ball that knocked them in front on the quarter hour mark. Back came Owen Roes and a fine moved involving Sean Dooher, Aaron Boggs and McShane saw the latter pop over.

McShane’s scored free put Owen Roes in front for the first time, and his side could’ve stretched their lead on 21 minutes. McShane sent Ronan McNulty clear but the half foward’s drive was the wrong side of the Kildress post. Late in the half Kildress found a levelling score to see the sides tied at the short whistle.

As it was in the first half the Wolfe Tones were quickest into their stride at the start of the second period as two scores- one from a free- gave them an early advantage. Back came the Leckpatrick side and McShane’s drive was well tipped over by the Kildress net minder.

Owen Roes were on top at this stage and could’ve had a couple of green flags. Charles O’Doherty was alive to a dropping ball at the edge of the small square but his swivelled effort went just wide, with Kevin Cairns having an effort blocked on the line minutes later.

Despite a bout of pressure, Owen Roes weren’t turning this into scores, while the team from Gortacladdy were happy to break with the ball and were more efficient with their shooting. One such move on 44 minutes restored their two point lead.

Owen Roes were struggling to find the space to conjure points but they were getting room to find goal chances, and they eventually took them. As happened earlier it was O’Doherty who judged the wind best, and he was alive to punch a dropping ball to the net.

O’Doherty struck a lovely angled point minutes later, but once again a good placed score kept Kildress in the hunt.

McShane and the Wolfe Tones free taker exchanged scores again before Kildress had a 45 that flew through the air in the wind and smashed off Michael Mullen’s crossbar for a let off.

However with five minutes left another Kildress free put just the one in it, and in the last minute Kildress levelled things up.

With a tied contest looking the best bet at this stage, the Wolfe Tones found the scores in the locker to win through. Another dead ball score was followed by an effort from the Tones’ wing forward to put them into the grade 2 decider.

Michael Mullen, Sean Dooher, Conor Doherty, Conor Donaghey, Kevin Kelly, Stephen Harper (0-1), Aaron Boggs, Charles O’Doherty (1-2), Seamus Dooher, Ronan McNulty, Ryan McAleer, Cathal McShane (0-5), Kevin Cairns, Marty O’Neill, Michael Dooher. Subs: Conor Devine for Marty O’Neill (43 mins).



Advertise with us