Advertise with us

Ladies Championship Wrap Up

Friday 21.08.2020
Team Talk Mag
Championship Football

Thursday night saw some entertaining, high scoring games in the Ladies Club Championship. Sperrin Óg hosted Omagh St Endas and enjoyed a fairly facile victory over a weakened Omagh side. Once again Niamh O’Neill was in fine scoring form for the Greencastle girls hitting 4-6 out of her team’s 7-17 total. Shauneen Ferrity, Claire Tuohey and Meaghan Clarke also found the net as the home side cruised to victory.

An impressive first half from Cappagh put them in a strong position as they saw off the challenge of Badoney. Teri Mc Cusker found the net for her side twice inside the first five minutes while points from Caitlin Kelly and Cara O’Neill gave Cappagh the perfect start.  Aisling Porter also netted before the water break and pointed immediately after. Kerri Mc Glone converted a first half penalty for Badoney while Dearbhla Mc Donald converted a free but the home side knew they faced an uphill battle after the break. The pace of scores slowed in the second half but Cappagh’s lead was never threatened. Caitlin Kelly, Kate Mc Aleer and Noreen Carland pointed for the winners while corner back Kerry Quinn hit her team’s fifth goal of the game. Bronagh Mossey (1-1) and Dearbhla Mc Donald (0-2) provided the scores for Badoney. Final score Badoney 2-5, Cappagh 5-19

Kildress Ladies stormed to victory in their Murphy’s Gaelic Gloves  Junior Championship Quarter-Final with a ‘double scores’ 4-10 to 2-5 win over Galbally in a thoroughly entertaining game at a stormy Gortacladdy.

The Tones certainly deserved their win but Galbally contributed hugely to the game  with some great defensive blocking and interceptions which were as central to the Kildress victory as was their often scintillating forward play. Just like their men’s equivalent, this team brings together a powerful blend of ‘older heads and younger legs’, all playing within a well-organised structure.

Kildress had whatever advantage the swirling wind afforded in the first half, and reached the break 2-6 to 1-2 ahead. Charleen Quinn’s penalty save was a pivotal moment as it was followed almost immediately by Kildress’ second goal, effectively delivering a six-point turnaround to the game. In the second half, after they had pegged back a well-finished Galbally goal, Kildress ensured the gap continued to grow and as conditions worsened, the Tones never looked like losing their grip.

The winners will now meet Moy Tír na nÓg in the Murphy’s Gaelic Gloves JFC Semi-Final on a day to be confirmed at the end of next week.

Kildress: Charleen Quinn | Donna Hagan, Cathy Connelly, Lanaoise Lagan | Natacha O’Neill, Aoife O’Connor, Rachel McKenna | Antaine McNamee, Annie McKenna | Eimear McAleer (0-1), Chloe Tracey (0-4), Eimear McGarrity (2-1) | Eilis Keenan (1-1), Maeve Conway (0-2), Stacy Boone | Aisling Hagan, Emma McKernan, Ann-Marie Lennon (1-1), Mairead Rafferty and Anna Lennon

Ladies Junior Championship Quarter-Final

           Moy 5-11
           Rock 1-8
An Mhaigh senior ladies foorballers recorded a comfortable victory away to the Rock in the quarter-finals of the Junior Championship on Thursday 20 August.
Assisted by a strong breeze, the Moy girls got off to the perfect start when Lucy McAlary raised a green flag in the opening minutes to get the scoreboard rolling. In the 13th minute, Nina Murphy registered her side’s second major after a clever cross-field ball from Cara Corr was matched with a composed strike to the back of the net.
It was 2-2 to 0-1 at the first water break. An Mhaigh were dominant in every position and rattled off seven points in nine minutes on the restart through Emer Currie(2), Catherine Donnelly, Cara Corr, Lucy McAlary, Colleen McCance and Caoimhe Magee. Cara Corr completed the first half scoring as she pounced on a goalkeeping error with a tidy left footed goal.
Half-Time Score:
Moy 3-9 Rock 0-1
The second half began as the first half had ended with Caoimhe Magee racing through for a point. Colleen McCance then slipped a perfectly timed pass to the on-rushing Cara Corr who registered her second goal of the night.
Rock did start to rally and An Mhaigh goalkeeper Leanne Daly was called into action in the 34th minute to keep the homesters at bay. Colleen McCance then turned provider again as she supplied another catch and lay off to Emer Currie who found the top corner of the net with a classy finish. By the 37th minute, the score was 5-10 to 0-3 in the Moy’s favour and the game was as good as won.
Yet, despite being so impressive up to this point, the Moy management will be frustrated with how the girls in sky blue finished the game with only one more score through Colleen McCance in the remaining 23 minutes. The Rock displayed real character, kicking 1-5 in the last twenty minutes to show what they are capable of.
Away from the scoring, Caoimhe Magee, Anna McDonald and Emma Lavery produced notable performances, continuing their impressive form of late. Overall, the Moy can be very pleased with their opening forty minutes work but will require a sustained 60 minute effort if they are to progress past Kildress in the championship semi-finals. Rock deserve great credit for competing right to the very end. Scorers on the night for Rock were Laura Kilpatrick 0-4, Niamh Lagan 0-3, Rachel Bradley 1-0 and Sinead Carroll 0-1.
Team & Scorers:
Leanne Daly, Eimear Smith, Lauren McCaffery, Patricia O’Neill, Emma Lavery, Anna McDonald, Jill Sheridan, Aine Swail (0-1), Caoimhe Magee (0-2), Emer Currie (1-2), Nina Murphy (1-0), Lucy McAlary (1-1)
Cara Corr (2-1), Catherine Donnelly (0-2), Colleen McCance (0-2)
Catherine O’Hanlon, Alice Murphy, Aoife O’Neill, Ciara O’Hanlon, Shona Jordan




Advertise with us