Advertise with us

Final Finishes 12-a-side as Naomh Mhuire Win

Friday 23.09.2011
Team Talk Mag

Naomh Mhuire win the 2011 Grade One Minor League title on a score line of 2-8 to 1-9, the first Grade One Final to be played twelve aside.

Following the incidents referee Fergal Ward issued four straight red cards, two to each side and the game finished twelve men aside with John Loughran and Micky Mills from Pomeroy and Ryan Madden and Mark Mc Reynolds from Naomh Mhuire being dismissed. Naomh Mhuire held on to their two point lead to win the league title. However they will go into the championship final now minus Madden and Mc Reynolds following their sendings off this evening.

Some rather unsavoury scenes as tempers flare and some very dangerous tackles flying in late in the game have resulted in the conclusion of the game being delayed with Naomh Mhuire still leading by two points.

With two minutes left on the clock Darren Mc Curry extends his side’s lead with another fine point, his seventh of the evening as Naomh Mhuire lead 2-8 to 1-9. Time is certainly against Pomeroy at this stage, they need a goal now to get back into it.

As the game enters the final ten minutes Naomh Mhuire substitute Enda Mc Gahan turns the game on its head with a brilliant individual goal worthy of winning any match and with just over nine minutes left to play Naomh Mhuire are now 2-7 to 1-9 ahead.

Halfway through the second half and both sides are now playing with fourteen men after Conor Little receives his second yellow card of the night. A point from Francis Burns puts Pomeroy 1-9 to 1-6 ahead but back come Naomh Mhuire and a shot from Hughes narrow the gap to two again 1-9 to 1-7. It is certainly heating up in Galbally as the game enters the final thirteen minutes.

Edendork start the second half well but six minutes in the gap remains a point before Gavin Goodfellow extends his side’s lead to two when he knocks over Pomeroy’s eighth point to leave the score 1-8 to 1-6 in their favour. However they face quite a challenge for the remaining twenty minutes as they are reduced to fourteen men following Eddie Cochrane’s second yellow card of the game

It is half time at Galbally and in spite of Pomeroy’s dominance the gap is down to a single point in favour of the Plunketts as they lead 1-6 to 1-5. They had been in a very commanding position three minutes before the break as they led 1-6 to 0-4 but Naomh Mhuire corner forward Kieran Hughes sneaked behind the Pomeroy defence to plunder a goal before Darren Mc Curry reduced the deficit further with a wonder score from out wide on the right. Half time score Pomeroy 1-6, Naomh Mhuire 1-5.

Pomeroy continue to look the more threatening side and move 1-5 to 0-4 ahead after twenty three minutes of the first half following points from Francis Burns and Aidan Armstrong. Weather conditions reasonable for the large crowd that has assembled to watch this very competitive match.

14 minutes in and Pomeroy move into the lead. Full back Sean Quinn converts a penalty after a foul on James Quinn to leave his side ahead 1-3 to 0-4.

Twelve minutes into the game and county minor star Darren Mc Curry kicks his third point to move his side 0-4 to 0-3 ahead. Kieran Mc Geary and John Loughran were both on target for the Plunketts.

The first of the underage finals scheduled for this weekend will get underway shortly under lights in Galbally when Naomh Mhuire take on Pomeroy in what is sure to be a very competitive and exciting final. Follow all the updates, scores and latest news on how the game is progressing right here on as we bring you all the action live on the website.


Advertise with us