Advertise with us

Derrylaughan Edge Out Moortown

Saturday 17.09.2011
Team Talk Mag

Game finishes 1-13 to 1-10 and it is Derrylaughan who make it through to the semi finals where they will face the winners of Carrickmore v Clonoe.

Moortown are down to fourteen men with a straight red card for Damien Crozier as the game enters injury time.

There is only a minute left and Martin Mc Stravog puts Derrylaughan three ahead 1-13 to 1-10.

It is 1-12 to 1-10 and we are inside the final four minutes.

Liam Gervin has a chance to settle Derrylaughan nerves as the game enters the final five minutes but he is just wide of the posts from distance.

There are 7 minutes to go and Moortown reduce the lead to two points following a free from Phillip Muldoon.

Just when they needed it up pops Liam Gervin with a point to ease his side three ahead.

Moortown grab a real lifeline when Peter Devlin fetches the ball and turns and sends it to the net, it is game on with thirteen minutes left and he adds another point moments later, it is now 1-11 to 1-9 for Derrylaughan.

Moortown hit a free from 20 metres by Phillip Muldoon, their first score in quite a while but Liam Gervin responds with another point for Derrylaughan as they lead 1-11 to 0-8.

41 minutes on the clock and Ciaran Gervin lands a right footed point from play as Derrylaughan lead 1-10 to 0-7.

Colm Robinson has a chance to wrap the game up having rounded Tony Quinn in the Moortown goal but manages to put the ball over the bar, big goal opportunity missed.

Derrylaughan make the better start to the second half and with four minutes gone they have turned the game on its head having capitalised on a mistake by Tony Quinn of Moortown and Colm Robinson fists it to the net. Points from Ciaran Quinn and Kevin Coary put Derrylaughan 1-8 to 0-7 ahead and at this stage the Kevin Barrys are well on top.

Derrylaughan conclude the scoring for the half with a converted free from Liam Gervin and Moortown reach the break leading by two points. This one is far from over.

Derrylaughan manage to close the gap slightly as Colm Robinson sends over his second point of the contest with a sweet left foot strike. 0-7 to 0-4 Moortown lead.

As the game heads into the last five minutes of the first half Moortown’s chances suffer a blow when Conor Heron who had been playing very well is forced to leave the pitch with what looks to be a hamstring injury. However Padraig O’Hagan makes light of the loss and lands his side’s seventh point and they now lead by four 0-7 to 0-3 with four minutes left of the first half.

Derrylaughan respond with a score from Liam Gervin but Heron restores the three point differential with another fine score. Twenty one minutes played and it is a double scores lead in favour of Moortown, 0-6 to 0-3.

Moortown extend their lead to three points with a free converted by Brian Mc Lernon and a Padraig O’Hagan point from play. 0-5 to 0-3 in favour of Moortown.

Moortown draw level at two apiece and then a huge point from out wide on the left by Conor Heron puts the St Malachys a point up 0-3 to 0-2 with 17 minutes gone.

Ten minutes in and this one has all the hallmarks of a low scoring and very close game. Will it turn out to be something similar to the Carrickmore v Clonoe game last night with defences on top or will we see the forwards express themselves a bit more? Still Derrylaughan 0-2, Moortown 0-1.

A minute later and it is 0-2 to 0-1 for Derrylaughan following a Colm Robinson point from just outside the 13m line.

Six minutes into the game and it is one each with a point from Mark Robinson who came the whole way up from corner back to land the score.

Three minutes into the second game and Moortown move ahead with a free from Phillip Muldoon. 0-1, 0-0



Advertise with us