Advertise with us

Masters Through to All Ireland Final

Sunday 01.12.2013
Team Talk Mag

Tyrone 1-10 Longford 0-12

Report by Denise O’Flaherty

Mark Gallagher’s 11th minute goal proved crucial as Tyrone defeated Longford by a solitary point to advance to the All-Ireland Masters Final.

Gallagher’s goal came less than a minute after Longford had created a goal chance of their own but John Corcoran’s powerful shot was saved by Tyrone keeper Gareth Quinn.

Although Longford battled hard and gave Tyrone a game, the Ulster side had a strong bench and were able to introduce Peter Canavan. The legendary forward scored 3 points and played a pivotal role in his side’s win along with the excellent Stephen Lawn at full-forward.

Eamon Kavanagh opened the scoring with a pointed free in the 5th minute before Derek Duggan replied for Longford with a fine long-range point. In the 11th minute Corcoran went through on goal but was denied by Quinn, Tyrone broke and Lawn laid the ball off to Gallagher who found the back of the net. The hard working  Conor Daly also added a point from wing half forward to press Tyrone further ahead.

Points from Lawn and Iggy Gallagher put five between the sides in the 13th minute before Corcoran pointed two frees. Duggan was unlucky to see his free hit the post just after.

Twice Corcoran was on target, replying to Tyrone scores but just before the break a fine point from the impressive Damien Gormley stretched his side’s lead to four points.

Longford started the second half well; a free from Corcoran put a goal between them just one minute after the interval. They then created two goal chances; Ciaran Keogh played the ball in but Duggan’s fisted effort went wide and one minute later Emmet Kenny’s low drive narrowly missed the target.

Twice in seven minutes Longford reduced the gap to two points but were unable to get closer to Tyrone. Canavan scored and was provider for Conor Gallagher as Tyrone put four between the sides again in the 53rd minute. His neat point seven minutes from time was his side’s last score.

Two frees from Duggan and Corcoran brought Longford to within two points of Tyrone in the 57th minute. It was one in the 59th minute with another Corcoran free but it was a goal Longford needed and they just couldn’t get it denied by a tenacious Tyrone defence in which Gavan Mc Elroy and Ronan Mc Garrity stood out over the hour ably assisted by the solid Garath Quinn in goals.

Tyrone progress to the final where the will meet the winner of Galway and Leitrim.

Tyrone: Gareth Quinn; Gary McKenna, Gavan McElroy, Paul Sweeney; Mark Gallagher (1-0), Ronan McGaritty, Eamon Kavanagh (0-2,1f); Hugh Quinn, Damien Gormley (0-1); Conor Daly (0-1), Mickey Cummins, Mickey McConomy; Iggy Gallagher (0-1), Stephen Lawn (0-1), Marty Keys.

Subs: Fergal Gormley for H Quinn (10mins), Conrad Quinn for Daly and Gerard McWilliams for Sweeney (23mins), Peter Canavan (0-3,2f) for Keys (26mins), Conor Gallagher (0-1) for C Quinn (41mins), Adrian Donnelly for Lawn (46mins), Andy McSorley for I Gallagher (50mins), Stephen Lawn for Donnelly (56mins). Panel: Mickey Mc Cann, Aidan Mc Gahan, Nigel Mullin, Brian Mc Elroy, Shane Mc Carney.

Longford: Ray Hussey; Sean Corr, Jack Lynn, Seamie Hagan; Tom Dillon, Ciaran Keogh, Eamon McEvoy; John Coyle, Ken Duggan (0-1); Emmet Kenny, Derek Duggan (0-2,1f), Jimmy Kiernan; Enda McMacken, John Corcoran (0-9,8f), Michael Flynn.

Subs: Shane Arthur for Flynn (24mins), Ollie Rodgers for Kiernan (38mins), Dermot McCormack for Macken and Des Skelly for Kenny (60mins).

Referee: Thomas Doonan (Cavan)



Advertise with us