Advertise with us

Moy Leave It Late

Saturday 27.01.2018
Team Talk Mag
Championship Football

Photos from Moy v An Ghaeltacht

Tyrone and Ulster champions Moy left it late before defeating Kerry side An Ghaeltacht 1-5 to 0-6 in the Intermediate All Ireland Club semi final at Thurles on Saturday afternoon.

They had to come from three points down with the game deep in injury time. The Kerry side seemed set for victory but Moy showed tremendous courage and heart to draw level with a Harry Loughran goal following a superb catch and pass from Colm Cavanagh.

Loughran, who had a quiet game up to that point, edged Moy one in front with his second score of the game with sixty five minutes on the clock.  Second half sub Conall Duffy sealed the win when he made the most of a half chance to put two points between the teams.

The win means the Tyrone champions will now face Roscommon champions Michael Glaveys next Saturday in Croke Park with an All Ireland title up for grabs.

It was not a game for the purist but Moy won’t worry about that. Their defensive strategy ensured An Ghaeltacht had limited opportunities for scores during a dour first half.  The game was seventeen minutes old before PJ Hand eventually opened the scoring for the Kerry men. Corner forward Sean Michael O’Connor extended his team’s lead three minutes later following a foul on the Kerry full forward Eanna O’Connor.

In spite of playing against a stiff breeze the Tyrone side began to create space and chances and had the game level heading into the break after a Sean Cavanagh brace of points, one from play and one from a free.

An Ghaeltacht began the second half well with a point straight from the throw in from the elusive Brian Begley. Moy levelled when Sean Cavanagh landed his third point of the game two minutes later but the men in blue failed to score for the next thirty minutes as the fourteen men from Munster controlled the game and possession in spite of being a man down.

Points from Begley and Dara O’Se edged them two in front as they made light of the sending off of Eanna O’Connor. Sean Michael O’Connor converted a free as the game entered injury time to leave An Ghaeltacht 0-6 to 0-3 ahead and the game seemed up for The Moy.

Fortunately no one told Colm Cavanagh and he fetched one from the clouds following a Nathan Brady kickout. The big midfielder won a free in the process and launched a long ball towards the square. Sean Cavanagh battled with Mark O’Se and managed to play the ball towards Harry Loughran who showed great composure to finish to the net and draw the game level. Extra time seemed a certainly but, buoyed by their goal, Moy seized the initiative and late scores from Loughran again and corner forward Conall Duffy sealed an historic win for the boys in blue and a place in the All Ireland Final on a final score of 1-5 to 0-6.

MOY: Nathan Brady, Patrick Mackle, Tomas Mc Nicholl, Thomas Conlon, Mark Gribbin, Niall Conlon, Eunan Deeney, Colm Cavanagh, Tom Loughran, Declan Conroy, Harry Loughran (1-1), Emmett Rafferty, Ryan Coleman, Sean Cavanagh (0-3), Adam Currie.

Subs: Conall Duffy (0-1) for Declan Conroy.

AN GHAELTACHT: Tomas Sayers, Peter Paul Sauerland, Marc O’Se, Cathal Long, Brian Begley (0-2), Padraig O’Se, Colm O’Muircheartaigh, Robert O’Se, Sean Bamber, Ciaran Killeen, Dara O’Se (0-1), PJ Hand (0-1), Tomas O’Se, Eanna O’ Connor, Sean Michael O’Connor (0-2).

Subs: Gerard Sayers for PJ Hand, Cathal Mc Gearailt for Ciaran Killeen,














Advertise with us