Advertise with us

Narrow Defeat For Tyrone

Saturday 21.07.2018
Team Talk Mag
All Ireland Series

Tyrone 0-14 Dublin 1-14

Dublin once again got the better of Tyrone in championship football but this time around they were taken to the pin of their collars by the Red Hands at Healy Park on Saturday evening.


In the end it was a fortunate goal from Dublin centre half back James McCarthy five minutes into the second half that ultimately proved to be the difference between the two sides. This result means that the reigning champions are back in the All Ireland semi final while for Tyrone it’s a winner takes all scenario in a fortnight’s time away to old rivals and neighbours Donegal.


Dean Rock and Peter Harte swapped early points before a fine effort with his right foot from the latter put the home side in front. That score though proved to be the only time that they would have their noses in front. Rock and the impressive Jack McCaffrey edged Dublin in front but Tyrone drew level with a brilliant point from defender Tiarnan McCann after he had cut in from the left wing.


Dublin though then stepped on the gas with defenders Brian Howard and Philly McMahon both on target while Rock registered again to make it 0-6 to 0-3. Tyrone though rallied with outstanding points from distance from defenders Frank Burns and Michael McKernan. It was Dublin though who had the final say of the opening period with an effort from John Small that looked as though it had went the wrong side of the post.


Connor McAliskey reduced the deficit to the minimum on the restart, 0-9 to 0-8, but Tyrone were never able to get on level terms. Dublin then scored the only goal of the game when McCarthy’s shot was saved by keeper Niall Morgan but the rebound hit off the defender again and into the net. Dublin turned the screw with Rock hit another trio of points, a McAliskey “45” Tyrone’s sole response to leave the visitors 1-10 to 0-8 in front with twenty minutes left to play.


Ciaran Kilkenny then left half a dozen between the two sides and at that stage it was in danger of going away from Tyrone. Roared on by a big home support though they came back into the contest with substitute Mark Bradley splitting the posts and the impressive Cathal McShane also on target.


A Harte free then closed the gap to a single score as Tyrone upped the tempo. Dublin though replied like champions do with Kilkenny kicking another score before Rock weighed in with another point from a placed ball.


The Tyrone bench though made an impact with Kieran McGeary kicking two outstanding points either side of one from fellow replacement Harry Loughran. With the game now in injury time Tyrone had an opportunity to close the gap to the minimum but substitute Ronan O’Neill was off target from a free after Declan McClure had been fouled. Dublin managed to weather the storm with substitute Paul Flynn sending over the final score of the contest to give them a three point win.



Tyrone: N Morgan, M McKernan (0-1), R McNamee, HP McGeary, T McCann (0-1), F Burns (0-1), P Harte (0-3, 2F), C Cavanagh, P Hampsey, M Donnelly, N Sludden, C Meyler, C McShane (0-2), R Donnelly, C McAliskey (0-2, 1 “45”). Subs: R Brennan for McNamee, M Bradley (0-1) for McAliskey, K McGeary (0-2) for Burns, D McClure for Cavanagh, H Loughran (0-1) for Meyler, R O’Neill for Sludden


Dublin: S Cluxton, J McCaffrey (0-1), C O’Sullivan, P McMahon (0-1), B Howard (0-1), J McCarthy (1-0), J Cooper, B Fenton, E Murchan, N Scully, C Kilkenny (0-2), C O’Callaghan, D Rock (0-6, 4F), P Mannion, J Small (0-1). Subs: C Costello for Mannion, K McManamon (0-1) for Scully, M Fitzsimmons for McMahon, P Flynn (0-1) for Howard, D Daly for Small, MD McCauley for McCarthy


Referee: D Coldrick, Meath




Advertise with us