Advertise with us

Plunketts Make No Mistake At Second Time Of Asking

Thursday 19.09.2019
Team Talk Mag
Championship Football


Pomeroy 2-13 Loughmacrory 1-11

Pomeroy played their get out of jail card on Sunday when they fought back with only twelve players to force a draw but there was no mistake at the second time of asking at Stewartstown on Thursday evening as they saw off the challenge of Loughmacrory to set up a semi final shootout with Owen Roes.


The Plunketts were a transformed team especially in the twenty six minutes when they played some outstanding football to establish an eight point lead. Loughmacrory though then came to life and after reducing the deficit to three at the break they drew level going into the final quarter. A Ryan Loughran goal though gave Pomeroy an advantage that they were never to lose before Ollie McCreesh put the icing on the cake with another major in injury time.


Gavin Goodfellow opened the scoring for the winners after only twenty seconds but then Loughmacrory took the lead by the 6th minute thanks to efforts from Cathaoir Gallagher and Conal Grimes. That’s when the Plunketts put their foot on the gas though as they confidently took the game to their opponents and a series of eye catching scores ensued. Aidan Woods, Lorcan Kilpatrick [2], Kieran McGeary, Frank Burns and Goodfellow [2] all split the posts with the second one from teenager Kilpatrick the pick of the bunch following a sixty metre run.


Loughmacrory looked in complete disarray but then things suddenly turned around. Eoin Mullan pointed and that was quickly followed by a well taken Niall Donaghy goal. Keeper Oisin O’Kane then had the final say of the opening period from a long range free to leave it 0-10 to 1-4 at the short whistle.


McGeary opened the second half scoring for Pomeroy but it was Loughmacrory who were now looking the more assured side. Pauric Meenagh and Gallagher both converted frees before a superb effort from play from Arnie Macidulskas left just the minimum between the two sides. Stephen Donaghy then sent over the equaliser but crucially Loughmacrory were never able to get their noses in front.


A long kickout was well caught in midfield by Loughran and he powered his way through to finish low to the bottom left hand corner of the net. McGeary and Meenagh exchanged points before Macidulskas and Meenagh reduced the deficit to the minimum in injury time. It was anybody’s game but Pomeroy’s experience shone through in the end as McCreesh first of all converted a free before he had the final say with a goal.







Advertise with us