Advertise with us

Promotion For Beragh and League Title For Errigal

Sunday 11.11.2018
Team Talk Mag


A huge crowd watched the double header at Killyclogher on Sunday afternoon as Beragh secured promotion to Division Two and Errigal Ciaran lifted the ACL Division One title.

Enda Kilpatrick’s Red Knights side made light of the absence of key man Cathal Owens as they produced a superb team display to defeat Kildress in the Division 2/3 promotion/relegation playoff.

After a close and competitive opening thirty minutes Beragh reached the break leading 1-6 to 0-7 with their goal coming after fifteen minutes from the boot of Jack Campbell. Aaron Owens, Oisin Donnelly, Calum Corrigan and Nathan Grimes were all on target during the first half for Beragh while Matthew Mc Guigan and Philip Lennon carried most of the scoring threat for Kildress.

The first half was close, exciting and competitive and played in a great spirit. The second half saw the performance levels of both sides rise again as Kildress fought hard to avoid relegation. However Beragh had a cause and with Johnny Woods, Pat Meenagh, Damian Meenagh, Paul Owens and Martin Rodgers to name but a few all showing well they capitalised on their second half goal from Niall Owens to take the win and ensure Intermediate football for the club for 2019.

Kildress almost turned the game on it’s head deep in injury time but Damien Kelly snatched at the chance and the ball sailed over the bar much to the relief of the Beragh contingent.

The final whistle saw great scenes of celebration as the Beragh supporters and players celebrated a famous 2-10 to 1-11 win.

Pre match favourites Errigal Ciaran deservedly claimed the league title on a score of 0-14 to 0-11 but they were made to fight all the way by a determined Omagh outfit.

Errigal were hugely impressive in the opening half playing some superb counter attacking football as Darragh Cavanagh and Peter Harte landed some delightful points. Ronan Mc Crory worked his socks off for the winners while goalkeeper Darragh Mc Anenly’s clearances caused numerous problems for St Endas.

Omagh struggled to break down the Errigal defence during the first half in spite of the best efforts of Conan Grugan, Ciaran Mc Laughlin, Conor O’Donnell and Cathal Mc Carron they reached the break trailing by five.  With Joe Mc Mahon and Barry Tierney carrying the game to their opponents after the break Omagh reduced the gap steadily and eventually drew the game level when Big Joe clipped a 45 over the bar.

However they failed to maintain their momentum and a super score from Darragh Canavan edged Errigal two in front before a strong run and fisted point from Peter Harte steadied any Errigal nerves. Omagh pushed hard in the closing minutes with a fine Cormac O’Neill shot drawing one superb save from Darragh Mc Anenly.

Paddy Crozier’s team continued to press and a Conan Grugan lofted over a fine point. Unfortunately for them that was as good as it got and Errigal deservedly lifted the title on a 0-14 to 0-11 score line.





Advertise with us