Advertise with us

Red Hands Ease Into Semi

Saturday 25.05.2019
Team Talk Mag

Tyrone 2-23 Antrim 2-9

As expected Tyrone booked their place in the last four of the Ulster senior championship when they had an emphatic fourteen point victory over Antrim at the Athletic Grounds in Armagh on Saturday evening.

It was a game that was over as a contest by the break as Tyrone had already established a massive lead, 1-16 to 0-5. All six forwards for the Red Hands had registered as well as three of their defenders, Tiernan McCann with the goal.

Wing half back Michael Cassidy opened the scoring before James McAuley levelled matters for Antrim from a free. Tyrone though were already looking sharp when pushing forward and points from Cathal McShane, Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly eased them three clear.

Wing half back Patrick McBride converted an Antrim free but the one way traffic continued as McShane, Frank Burns, Rory Brennan and Richard Donnelly all weighed in with quality points. Ryan Murray knocked over an Antrim free, Ben McDonnell black carded when giving it away, but it was only temporary respite for the Saffrons.

McShane converted a free before Harte placed McCann in the 27th minute and he gave Antrim keeper Padraig Nugent no chance with a rocket to the net. Murray pointed from play before Niall Sludden split the posts from a tight angle to mean that all starting forwards had registered. Richard Donnelly hit another great score with his left before brother Mattie added one as well. With the last kick of the half McShane converted a 13m free to leave the scoreboard reading 1-16 to 0-5.

McBride and McShane exchanged points from frees on the restart before Tyrone made a triple substitution in attack with Kyle Coney, Connor McAliskey and Darren McCurry all entering the action. Full back Ronan McNamee got forward to get his name on the scoresheet but moments later Antrim got a goal through defender Patrick McCormick. McCurry and McAliskey tagged on points with Murray replying for the Saffrons.

Richard Donnelly then got his third point of the evening, all with his left, before Antrim got their second goal in the 57th minute through centre half forward Matthew Fitzpatrick. Three minutes later though a long delivery in from Richard Donnelly was brilliantly fielded by McAliskey who gave keeper Padraig Nugent no chance with a thunderbolt to the net. McAliskey, Coney and McCurry all added points on a day when fourteen players got their name on the scoresheet as Tyrone marched into the semi final.

Tyrone – Niall Morgan (0-1, “45”), Hugh Pat McGeary, Roan McNamee (0-1), Rory Brennan (0-1), Tiernan McCann (1-0), Padraig Hampsey, Michael Cassidy (0-1), Colm Cavanagh, Ben McDonnell, Mattie Donnelly (0-3), Niall Sludden (0-1), Frank Burns (0-1), Cathal McShane (0-6, 3F), Peter Harte (0-1, 1F), Richard Donnelly (0-3). Subs – Conan Grugan for O’Donnell (black card), Aidan McCrory for Hampsey, Kyle Coney (0-1) for M Donnelly, Connor McAliskey (1-2, 1F) for Harte, Darren McCurry (0-1) for McShane, Conall McCann for Sludden

Antrim – Padraig Nugent, Patrick McCormick (1-0), Ricky Johnston, Patrick Gallagher, Patrick McBride (0-2, 2F), Declan Lynch, Niall Delargy, Colum Duffin, Stephen Beatty, James McAuley (0-1), Matthew Fitzpatrick (1-0), Kevin Quinn, Ryan Murray (0-6, 5F), James Smith, Odhran Eastwood. Subs – Ryan McNulty for Smith, Eunan Walsh for Eastwood, Ruairi Scott for Quinn, Michael McCarry for Beatty, Jay Mallon for McAuley, Conor Mallon for Walsh

Referee – Maurice Deegan, Laois


Advertise with us