Advertise with us

Reds Lift 8th O’Neill Cup

Sunday 13.10.2019
Team Talk Mag
Championship Football

Trillick 0-12 Errigal Ciaran 2-4

Trillick collected the O’Neill Cup for the 8th time and the first since 2015 when they justified their favourites tag with a two point success over Errigal Ciaran at Healy Park on Sunday afternoon.

The Dunmoyle based men scored an early goal as well as a goal from the penalty spot deep into injury time but in between times they went 38 minutes without troubling the umpires and that’s when Trillick effectively won the game.

Trillick were out of the blocks quickly and after Ryan Gray had opened the scoring inside sixty seconds Lee Brennan and wing half back Michael Gallagher both registered to leave them 0-3 to 0-1 in front.

Errigal Ciaran opened their account in the 5th minute when Pauric McAnenly laid the ball out for Peter Harte to dissect the posts. Sixty seconds later they were given the gift of a goal when a mistake by Trillick keeper Joe Maguire saw teenager Odhran Robinson to first time the ball to the net.

That proved to be their last score of the first half as they hit seven wides to their opponents four. James Garrity turned sharply to split the posts to level matters in the 10th minute. The rest of the opening period was a forgettable experience with a forty seven metre free from the boot of Brennan the only other score.

Trillick kept Mattie Donnelly inside in the second half and it was a move that paid dividends immediately with the Tyrone star opening the scoring. Brennan knocked over another free before Errigal Ciaran ended a thirty nine minute barren spell with a point from defender Cormac Quinn. Trillick though were looking the better team and almost immediately Donnelly turned sharply to split the posts again. A Peter Harte free kept Errigal Ciaran in touch but Trillick then stepped on the gas.

Brennan knocked over another placed ball before corner back Damian Kelly joined the attack to score. Another Brennan free was followed by a point from play from midfielder Richard Donnelly and with Rory Brennan to the fore in defence Errigal Ciaran were running out of time. Errigal Ciaran were awarded a penalty deep into injury time which Harte blasted to the net but it was Trillick’s day as the final whistle sounded moments later.

Trillick: J Maguire, S O’Donnell, R Kelly, D Kelly (0-1), M Gallagher (0-1), D Gallagher, R Brennan, R Donnelly (0-1), G McCarron, M Donnelly (0-2), N Donnelly, R Gray (0-1), L Gray, L Brennan (0-5, 3F, 1 “45”), J Garrity (0-1). Subs: N Gormley for N Donnelly, D McQuaid for M Gallagher

Errigal Ciaran: D McAnenly, C Quinn, A McCrory, C Quinn (0-1), S Tierney, N Kelly, P O’Hanlon, B McDonnell, E Kelly, P McAnenly, P Harte (1-3 1F, 1 “45” 1-0 pen), R McRory, O Robinson (1-0), Darren Canavan, M Kavanagh. Subs: J Oguz for Robinson, D McDermott for O ‘Hanlon, Darragh Canavan for Darren Canavan, S McRory for R McRory, T Canavan for E Kelly, T Colhoun for Tierney

Referee: E McHugh, Aghyaran



Advertise with us