Advertise with us

Reserve League Title For Owen Roes

Wednesday 01.11.2017
Team Talk Mag


With League titles already in the bag for Owen Roes at Senior and Ladies U-16 levels, the Club’s Reserve team made it a triple success last Saturday at Sigerson Park when they overcame Drumragh in the Division 3 League title play-off.


With both sides finishing unbeaten at the top of the table, (the teams drew when they met earlier in the season), it would take this play-off to determine who would take the League title.


Drumragh were chasing the Reserve League and Championship double while the Leckpatrick side were playing for a men’s League double so it was all to play for.


Drumragh made the early running with a goal bound shot tipped over the bar by the Roes keeper Andy Devine before Marty O’Neill levelled. Devine then stepped up to put the Leckpatrick side in front with a free from all of 40 yards out. Drumragh levelled again but points from Stephen Harper, Kevin O’Neill and another long distance free from Devine settled the nerves for the north Tyrone men.


Drumragh picked off another point before losing their number 9 Owen Taggart to a black card. However it didn’t appear to faze the Sarsfields as they maintained the pressure and were unlucky not to narrow affairs kicking several opportunities just wide of the posts before picking off their fourth point. Sub Ryan Mc Shane pointed for the Roes just before the half time whistle leaving it a 2 point game on 0-07 to 0-05.


Mc Shane opened the second half scoring for Owen Roes with a point. Then the Leckpatrick side stretched their advantage further. A good solo run upfield from Gerard Mc Shane ended up with that other Mc Shane finishing to the net while Mark O’Neill, Michael Dooher and Mark Kelly kicked a further 3 points.

Drumragh sensed the game slipping from their grasp and when they won a free on the Roes 20 yard line they took their chance to narrow and drove hard to go for goal only to see the ball come off the crossbar and go over for a point.


Drumragh’s resolve to keep the game alive got a swift response at the other end when Michael Dooher bagged for the Roes second goal but it was short lived when referee Cathal Kearney awarded the Sarsfield’s a penalty, neatly put past Devine.


With 6 minutes left to play there was still time for Drumragh to push for scores. A point from Mark Kelly at one end was answered with another rocket of a kick from a free headed goal bound but the Roes defence was alert and cleared the ball from the line to see them to the full-time whistle and lift a first Reserve League title since 1992!


Final score: Owen Roes 2-12 Drumragh 1-06.



Advertise with us