Advertise with us

SFC | Strabane And Killyclogher Through to Quarter finals

Sunday 07.06.2015
Team Talk Mag


A busy weekend of club championship football came to an end at Carrickmore on Sunday evening following nine intriguing and compelling games.

The final double header saw Strabane take on Augher with a quarter final place against the winners of Errigal Ciaran v Killyclogher on offer. A huge crowd gathered in Carrickmore as the sun finally shone on the club season.

Strabane began well with a goal inside two minutes from Ryan O’Kane followed by a Warner Mullan point but Augher were soon level courtesy of a major from Daire Kavanagh and a point from wing back Odhran Mc Ginn. Both sides continued to play open expansive football with plenty of scoring chances created. Goals from John Mc Laughlin and an own goal from Emmett Neeson helped the North Tyrone side reach the break 3-4 to 1-8 in front.

An early Conor Hackett goal put Augher ahead in the second half but with JP Gallagher and Warner Mullan in good form the Sigersons hit a fourth goal and pegged on five further points to open up a four point gap late in the game.

Augher threw caution to the wind launching several high balls in the direction of Aidan Cassidy on the edge of the square. However Ciaran Friel, Ryan Mc Elroy and sub Kyle Devine stood tall as Ciaran Mc Laughlin’s side made it through to the last eight on a final score of 4-10 to 2-13.

Following that game we were treated to a real championship thriller as Killyclogher and Errigal went toe to toe.

It was Errigal who made the better start playing a very high pressing game they had their opponents on the back foot from early on. With Darren Canavan, Ciaran Mc Ginley and Aidan Mc Crory driving forward at every opportunity Errigal controlled the first half and looked set to earn a place in the last eight as they reached thirty minutes leading 0-8 to 0-2. However a late free in injury time from Leo Meenan reduced the gap to five and gave his side hope for the second half.

What ever was said in the Killyclogher dressing room during the break did the trick as they turned the game on its head in a pulsating second half. Early scores from Mark Bradley, Leo Meenan and Simon O’Neill reduced the gap to two. Minutes later Mark Bradley put his team in front with a fabulous goal after a fine pass from Niall Mc Fadden.

Suddenly Errigal were on the back foot and lacking the energy they had displayed during the opening period. Their opponents found the net for a second time from the boot of Simon O’Neill and from then on there looked to be only one winner.

Both sides lost men to red cards as the intensity of the exchanges increased. Conal and Tiernan Mc Cann took over in the middle of the field for Killyclogher clipping over several very important points to ensure there would be no comeback for Errigal. Final score Killyclogher 2-10, Errigal Ciaran 0-11.



Advertise with us