Advertise with us

Tyrone Exit All Ireland Series

Monday 14.07.2014
Team Talk Mag



Tyrone 0-10 Armagh 0-13

Armagh produced a superb display full of grit and determination to deservedly upset the odds at Healy Park yesterday afternoon and send their near neighbours and old rivals Tyrone tumbling out of the championship.


The visitors were full value for their win on the day and but for Niall Morgan Tyrone’s defeat could have been greater. The keeper made a superb save to deny Jamie Clarke in the first half and he followed that up with equally fine stops to thwart Mark Shields and substitute Rory Grugan after the break.


The home side simply had no answer to the intensity which their opponents took to the game and it says it all that Tyrone managed to score only two points from play in a poor performance.


The game was less than sixty seconds old when a brawl broke out that involved most of the players on the field with referee Cormac Reilly trying to defuse the situation by booking Aidan Forker and Mattie Donnelly. Kyle Coney hit a superb point from play and keeper Morgan followed that up with a long range free but Armagh were looking the better side with Tony Kernan converting a few frees and midfielder Stephen Harold on target from play.


Tyrone were dealt a blow on the half hour mark when Donnelly was dismissed for a second yellow card offence with Clarke converting the resulting free for a four point lead. Sean Cavanagh halved the deficit by the interval thanks to two frees but Tyrone trailed 0-7 to 0-5 having played with the wind and were a man down.


Within six minutes of the restart efforts from Niall McKenna and two Cavanagh frees had turned things around in favour of the Red Hands, both frees won by halftime substitute Stephen O’Neill. Armagh though weren’t going away and a brilliant Andy Mallon point typified their display on the day.


Stefan Campbell and Darren McCurry exchanged points but that effort from the latter in the 46th minute proved to be Tyrone’s last score of the game. Clarke and wing back Shields both registered from play before substitute Aaron Kernan converted a free from out on the right wing.


Armagh had their tails up and but for some poor shooting they should have had the game wrapped up. Tyrone needed a goal to save their season but it never looked like coming and while Armagh had influential captain Ciaran McKeever black carded late on they comfortably held on to advance.



Tyrone – N Morgan [0-1, 1f], A McCrory, R McNamee, PJ Quinn, R McNabb, Mattie Donnelly, Justin McMahon, C Cavanagh, S Cavanagh [0-5, 5f], E McKenna, K Coney [0-1], C McGinley, D McCurry [0-2, 2f], N McKenna [0-1], C McAliskey. Subs – C Gormley for McNamee, B Tierney for McGinley, Mark Donnelly for Coney, M Penrose for Quinn, S O’Neill for McAliskey, P McNeice for E McKenna



Advertise with us