Advertise with us

Tyrone Finish League Programme With Victory Over Armagh

Sunday 26.03.2023
Team Talk Mag


Tyrone 0-18 Armagh 0-16

Tyrone got the better of local rivals Armagh in their final league game of the season and in so doing consigned their neighbours to relegation to Division Two of the Allianz League for 2024.

The teams served up a very competitive and entertaining contest with both sides enjoying periods of dominance but Tyrone were worthy two point winners when referee Barry Cassidy sounded the final whistle. Sunday’s victory at O’Neills Healy Park made it three wins in a row for the home side and left them on eight points.

Tyrone led 0-8 to 0-7 at the end of a first half that ebbed and flowed. Armagh pre-game replacement Conor Turbitt opened the scoring in the 4th minute before Tyrone ace Darren McCurry levelled matters and after Turbitt had scored from a mark Peter Harte pointed with his weaker right foot to make it 0-2 each. Jemar Hall then pointed to give Armagh the lead but a McCurry free left it all square again.

Armagh were beginning to enjoy greater possession as both sides built slowly from the back. Turbitt and Niall Grimley pointed to put the visitors two clear but in the 20th minute Conn Kilpatrick’s fine effort followed by points from McCurry and Harte put Tyrone in front for the first time.

Turbitt was on target again before Darragh Canavan and defender Aidan Forker swapped quality scores. The home side had a great chance for a goal when Canavan raced clear two minutes before the break but he was denied by a superb stop by keeper Ethan Rafferty. Tyrone did reach the break one in front following a fine effort from out wide on the right by Darren Mc Curry. Half time score Tyrone 0-8, Armagh 0-7.

Tyrone hit the ground running at the start of the second half with the returning Ronan McNamee and Mattie Donnelly both on target inside three minutes. Armagh however showed they were up for the battle with scores from Stefan Campbell, Turbitt and defender Forker.

Peter Harte hit his third point of the afternoon but Campbell responded almost immediately for Armagh. A McCurry free was then cancelled out by Grugan and with a quarter of an hour remaining it was anybody’s game.

Tyrone introduced Michael McGleenan to the game and the big Eglish man landed a superb score with practically his first touch but Campbell and Callum Cumisky edged the visitors in front once more with a superb brace of scores. At that stage it looked like Armagh would retain their Division One status but when news came in that Monaghan were ahead against Mayo the mood changed.

Tyrone Captain Paudie Hampsey tied the scores at 0-14 apiece following an outstanding point and that was followed by a McCurry free and a Kilpatrick score. A fourth Campbell point reduced the deficit but McCurry and McNamee closed the game out as Tyrone finished their league campaign with a one hundred percent record at home.

Tyrone: B Gallen, M McKernan, P Hampsey (0-1), C Quinn, C Meyler, R McNamee (0-2), P Harte (0-3), B Kennedy, C Kilpatrick (0-2), F Burns, K McGeary,  J Oguz, D McCurry (0-7, 5F), M Donnelly (0-1), D Canavan (0-2). Subs: D Mulgrew for McGeary, M McGleenan (0-1) for Canavan, N Sludden for Harte

Armagh: E Rafferty, B McCambridge, A McKay, A Forker (0-2), C Mackin, G McCabe, J Og Burns, S Campbell (0-4), N Grimley (0-1, M), C Cumiskey (0-1), R Grugan (0-1),,  J Hall (0-1),  C Turbitt (0-5 2F, 1M), A Murnin, J Duffy. Subs: A Nugent for Murnin, T Kelly for Duffy, J Kieran (0-1) for Hall, C McConville for Cumisky, S McPartland for Turbitt

Referee: B Cassidy,



Advertise with us