Advertise with us

Tyrone Ladies Through To Semi Final

Sunday 30.06.2024
Team Talk Mag
All Ireland Series


Tyrone are through to the semi final of the Intermediate Championship after goals from Chloe McCaffrey and Aoife Horisk helped them to a one point win over Clare.

Sean O’Kane’s side had to endure a tense seven minutes of added time before the final whistle sounded and Tyrone were through to the last four.

The Red Hands trailed at the break 2-4 to 0-4 but Chloe McCaffrey’s inspirational start to the second half reduced the deficit to a single point, the forward striking 1-2 in a two minute window that put Clare on the back foot.The superb Aoife Horisk hit the all important second goal that kept Tyrone in the ascendancy before Mc Caffrey and Maria Canavan scored late points to secure the narrow win.

Clare opened the scoring with a Roisin Considine point following some patient build up play after five minutes. Clare’s Amy Lenihan was called upon to produce a point blank save to deny Aoife Horisk from close range. The Tyrone player  gathered the rebound but was fouled in the act and referee Ger Canny awarded a penalty. Maria Canavan stepped up but fired the spot kick up and over the bar.

Caoimhe Harvey scored to put Clare in front before Horisk fired over for Tyrone to tie the game again. Tyrone took the lead then from a placed ball after Zoe Loughran had been fouled.

Fidelma Marrinan levelled the tie from a free in the 19th minute and almost added a goal seconds later only to be denied by an excellent save by Amelia Coyle.

Chloe McCaffrey slotted over a free to restore the Tyrone advantage in the 22nd minute but a goal apiece from Laurie Ryan and Ailish Considine stunned Tyrone and put Clare in a very strong position.

The Munster side grew in confidence and finished the first half on the front foot.
Marrinan curled over a free on stoppage time to put the hosts ahead 2-4 to 0-4 at the break.

Tyrone needed a response and led by the highly talented Chloe Mc Caffrey they got one. The Macartans ace hit 1-2 in two minutes to reduce the deficit to a single point. A point from an acute angle was followed by a goal seconds later as Tyrone turned over the resulting Clare kickout. McCaffrey took aim from distance as Lenihan was out of the goal and the ball nestled in the Clare net.

A free kept the Tyrone pressure building as Clare looked rocked early in the second half. The Banner did get their opening score of the half in the 38th minute from Marrinan, before Moloney curled over one of the scores of the day in the 41st minute to push the lead out to three points.

Once again the lead was short lived as Tyrone found space with a lightening fast attack and Horisk showed great composure to find the back of the net.
The game again was level as both sides pushed and prodded in search of the next score.

With six minutes of normal time remaining, Horisk fired over to put Tyrone ahead.  Two minutes later McCaffrey again tested Lenihan but once more the Clare keeper stood tall. The visitors recycled the ball from the rebound and Canavan extended the lead to two from play.

On the hour mark Clare pulled a point back through Moloney, but in spite of seven added minutes they could not find the match saving score and Tyrone made it through to the semi final where they will meet Down.



Advertise with us