Advertise with us

Tyrone Lose Out In Killarney

Monday 28.01.2019
Team Talk Mag

Allianz League Division 1 : Kerry 0-11 Tyrone 0-7

Tyrone made a disappointing start to their Allianz National league campaign when they were beaten by four points by Kerry at Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney on Sunday afternoon.

The Red Hands failed to play the football that they are capable off on the day against a Kerry side who proved very difficult to break down as they got plenty of numbers behind the ball. The visitors managed only ne first half point and over the course of the seventy odd minutes they only notched two scores from play with the first of those not arriving until the 50th minute. It wasn’t the result that was hoped for at a venue that hasn’t been good to Tyrone in recent times in terms of results but no doubt they will be eager to bounce straight back when Mayo are the visitors to Healy Park this weekend.

Kerry led 0-5 to 0-1 at halftime and probably should have been further in front. After hat the closest that Tyrone got to the hosts was two points with centre half forward Sean O’Shea proving to be a key player for the winners with half a dozen points to his name. It took eleven minutes for the first score to arrive courtesy of an O’Shea thirty-five metre free off the ground and after both sides had recorded wides the hosts squandered a great goal chance in the 18th minute. Tyrone lost possession around midfield Brian Kennedy and Stephen O’Brien surged through on a fifty-metre run but with only keeper Niall Morgan to beat he dragged his shot to the left off the posts and wide.

An O’Shea 13m free doubled Kerry’s advantage before Morgan finally opened Tyrone’s account in the 28th minute from a placed ball having earlier missed a couple of attempts. O’Shea then landed his third free of the half as Kerry finished the half strongly. Dara Moynihan, a late replacement in attack for James O’Donoghue, then got the first score of the game from play and in injury time he repeated the dose to leave his side well placed at the short whistle.

Darren McCurry opened the second half scoring from a close in free but O’Shea quickly cancelled that score out with a superb effort from play from out on the right wing. That proved to be a trend that was to continue throughout the second half as each time the visitors scored Kerry were able to come straight down the field and respond.

Two McCurry frees reduced the deficit to two points but Tyrone were never able to get closer to their opponents. Wing half back Tom O’Sullivan ventured forward to hit an outstanding point with the outside of his boot as Kerry continued to keep Tyrone at arms length. It took the Red Hands until the 50th minute to score from play when centre half forward Peter Harte profited from a poor clearance out of the Kerry defence to split the posts.

Kerry though still looked the better side with midfielder Jack Barry making it a three point game once more. Another McCurry free kept Tyrone in touch but they were never able to kick on from that.

Michael Geaney came off the bench and made an immediate impact for Kerry with a fine point with his first touch of the ball. With five minutes to go Mattie Donnelly gave Tyrone hope with a quality score from out on the left wing but that proved to be the last time that they would trouble the umpires. O’Shea landed the score of the game with an outstanding side line conversion from under the Stand before the same player completed the scoring with a free with what proved to be the last kick of the game.

Kerry: S Ryan, P Crowley, J Sherwood, B O’Beaglaioch, T Morley, P Murphy, T O’Sullivan (0-1), J Barry (0-1), A Spillane, J Lyne, S O’Shea (0-6, 5F), S O’Brien, D O’Connor, P Geaney, D Moynihan (0-2). Subs: G Crowley for Morley, G O’Brien for P Geaney, M Geaney (0-1) for Lyne, K Spillane for O’Brien

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-1, 1F), L Rafferty, R McNamee, HP McGeary, T McCann, R Brennan, M McKernan, B Kennedy, D McClure, M Donnelly (0-1), P Harte (0-1), N Sludden, D McCurry (0-4, 4F), D Mulgrew, C McShane. Subs: K Coney for Mulgrew, K McGeary for Rafferty, D Canavan for Sludden, C Meyler for HP McGeary

Referee: D Gough, Meath



Advertise with us