Advertise with us

COUNTY | Tyrone Through To Semi finals

Sunday 09.08.2015
Team Talk Mag

Tyrone 0-18 Monaghan 0-14

Mickey Harte’s Tyrone showed all their hunger and experience as they outscored and out fought Monaghan at Croke Park on Saturday afternoon.

Monaghan’s fine Ulster Championship form deserted them as talisman Conor Mc Manus was well shackled by a teak tough Red Hand defence.

There was little between the sides throughout a competitive but tactical first half as Tyrone’s game plan prevented their opponents from finding space creating scoring chances. Monaghan struggled to come to terms with Tyrone’s approach and found themselves chasing the game for long periods.

Conor Mc Aliskey opened the scoring for Tyrone and although Monaghan replied with points from Kieran Hughes and Dessie Mone, it was Tyrone’s forays into attack that were proving more productive. Darren Mc Curry, Joe Mc Mahon and Peter Harte all added scores as Tyrone made good use of their chances. Three points separated the sides as half time approached but a late score for the Farney side reduced the gap to two and gave Malachy O’Rourke’s side hope for the second half.

Tyrone went in at the break confident that their game plan was proving effective. With Mc Manus being closely guarded by Ronan Mc Namee and Justin Mc Mahon, Monaghan were struggling to create chances close to goal. Tyrone’s defensive line was proving difficult to breach and as a result their opponents were finding scoring opportunities hard to come by.

Monaghan threw on Dick Clerkin, Drew Wylie and Owen Duffy for the second half but it was Tyrone who made the better start. McCurry and McAliskey hit points as six minutes into the period Tyrone led by double scores 0-10 to 0-05.

The game was beginning to slip from Monaghan. McManus managed to land a couple of frees, but Tyrone again pulled clear with points from McAliskey and Cavanagh putting them 0-12 to 0-07 after 48 minutes.

At this stage Mickey Harte’s side looked in total control and although Monaghan’s substitute Duffy hit two sublime points to keep them in contention Ronan McNabb attacked down the right wing to land a huge score for Tyrone.

McCurry put five between them as Monaghan ran out of ideas. They threw everything but the kitchen sink at the Tyrone defence but with Colm Cavangh, Matty Donnelly and Tiernan Mc Cann in superb form they struggled to create a real goal scoring opportunity.

McManus scored again for Monaghan but the renewed hope that score gave them was quickly extinguished as McAliskey and Ronan McNamee landed fine points for Tyrone.

As time ebbed away and tempers flared Monaghan managed to get the gap back to three points but Mattie Donnelly wrapped it up for Tyrone with his second point of the match in the dying moments.

In the final analysis the Red Hands proved worthy winners and as the day’s events drew to a conclusion, Tyrone put the misery of Ballybofey behind them to focus on their semi final clash with Kerry. When the dust had settled it was Mickey Harte’s side who were the last Ulster side standing in the 2015 Championship.

Tyrone: N Morgan; A McCrory, R McNamee (0-01), C McCarron; R McNabb (0-01), Joe McMahon (0-01), P Harte (0-01); C Cavanagh, M Donnelly (0-02); T McCann, M Bradley, C Meyler; D McCurry (0-04, 0-02f), S Cavanagh (0-01), C McAliskey (0-07, 0-05f, 0-01 ’45).

Subs: Justin McMahon for Joe McMahon (9 mins), C McCann for Meyler (23 mins), P McNulty for McCann (46 mins), R O’Neill for McAliskey (59 mins), R Donnelly for Bradley (67 mins).



Advertise with us