Advertise with us

Ulster Still on Course for 3 in a Row

Sunday 17.02.2013
Team Talk Mag

Ulster survived a second half onslaught from Munster to grab a place in this year’s 2013 Railway Cup final in Croke Park next weekend. Munster had an opportunity to draw the match in the last few seconds but the ball came off the post and went harmlessly wide.

Ulster began the game at a very high tempo and were quickly 0-3 to 0-0 ahead inside the first eight minutes. Tyrone men Sean Cavanagh with two early scores and Martin Penrose also getting in on the act with a huge point from play.

Colm O’Neill opened Munsters account with a point from a free in the tenth minute put Ulster fired back almost immediately as Martin Penrose easily accounted for his marker and fired to the net.

By the 16th minute Ulster were further ahead and threatening to destroy Munster as Donegal’s Eamin McGee and Monaghan man Conor McManus fired over points to leave them 1-5 to 0-1 ahead. Munster’s Colm O’Neill added two more scores though to keep them in touch. Sean Cavanagh was on top form scoring another two points from frees and McManus added his second of the game to move Ulster 1-8 to 0-3 up.

McManus was on the scoresheet again in the 29th minute, David Givney tagged on Ulster’s final score of the opening 35 minutes before Munster had the last say with points from Cork men Colm O’Neill and Aidan Walsh. Half time score Ulster 1-11 Munster 0-6.

Munster weren’t going to give the game up easily though and it was Donncha O’Connor ‘s penalty in the 42nd minute and really sparked their revival. By the 55th minute they were level thanks to further scores from sharp shooter Colm O’Neill and Paul Kerrigan.

Ulster had to wait until the 59th minute to register their next score via the boot of Ciaran McKeever. McKeever repeated that point a short time later and it was left to Aodan O’Mahony to add the final point of a pulsating game. Final Score Ulster 1-13 Munster 1-12.

ULSTER: P McConnell; C McKaigue, N McGee, E McGee (0-1); C McCarron, D Hughes, C McKeever (0-2); S Cavanagh (0-5), D Givney (0-1); M McHugh, M Poland, J McMahon; M Penrose (1-1), K Niblock, C McManus (0-4).

Subs used: K Hughes for McCarron (47 mins), C McAliskey for Poland (54), P McComiskey for Niblock (64).

MUNSTER: B Kealy; M O Se (0-1), A O’Mahony (0-1), P Codd; N O’Leary, E Cadogan, P Kissane; G Brennan (0-1), A Walsh (0-2); A Clohessy, D O’Connor (1-0), P Kerrigan (0-1); G Hurney, C O’Neill (0-5), G Collins (0-1).

Subs used: M O’Gorman for Codd (30 mins), B O’Driscoll (0-1) for Clohessy (33), R Donnelly for Kerrigan, J O’Riordan for Collins (both 68).

Referee: Jerome Henry (Mayo)



Advertise with us