Advertise with us

Division One Round Up

Friday 20.05.2011
Team Talk Mag

Carrickmore put on a great display tonight to come from six points down fifteen minutes into the first half against Donaghmore to win convincingly 1-14 to 1-9. Niall Mc Kenna and Shane Mulgrew were in fine form for the Village lads early on but Carmen produced a great burst late in the first half to lead 1-7 to 0-6 at the break with their goal again coming from Ciaran Mc Aleer and Kevin Mc Nally, Colm Mc Gurk and Barry Daly among the points. Donaghmore rallied in the second half with Shane Mulgrew scoring 1-3 for them but Kevin Mc Nally’s accuracy from the dead ball and points from Benny Martin and Barry Daly ensured that Carrickmore produced the perfect response to their home defeat against Ardboe last week.

Dromore continued their fine form tonight with a five point win over neighbours Trillick at Gardrum Park. Early goals in both halves were crucial to the victory as Eoin Mc Cusker and Ciaran Mc Coy found the net for the winners. Mc Coy finished the game with 1-2 to his credit . Dromore were three up at half time 1-4 to 0-4 but Mc Coy’s early second half goal gave them the cushion they needed to see the game out and a couple of late scores from Colm Mc Cullagh ensured the blues took the points. Niall Gormley was Trillick’s main source of scores but with Ryan Mc Menamin and Cathal Mc Carron in good form the Trillick forward unit were well shackled.

Killyclogher got their first win of the season with a three point victory over neighbours Omagh at Healy Park tonight in a match that finished Omagh 1-9, Killyclogher 1-12 . The game saw the return to competitive action of Justin Mc Mahon who came on for Omagh ten minutes into the first half. The home side were leading 0-2 to no score at that stage but surprisingly failed to score for the remainder of the half. Killyclogher hit 1-4 unanswered with points from Simon O’Neill and James Carlin and a fine goal from Conor Meenan after an exquisite pass from Simon O’Neill. Omagh brought on John Mc Peake in the second half and he helped turn the game in their favour. Points from Shane O’Neill and Michael Gallagher and a Mc Peake goal left only a point between the sides with time almost up. Omagh pushed hard for the equaliser but left gaps at the back that allowed Killyclogher to catch them on the counter attack. This resulted in late scores from Conor Meenan and another from Simon O’Neill following a defence splitting pass from Ryan O’Neill to secure a three point victory and two vital league points for the blues.

Ardboe dropped two valuable league points at home to Clonoe losing 12 points to 2-8. The O’Rahillys laid the foundations for this victory with two first half goals coming from PJ Lavery and Martin Hughes as they led 2-5 to four points at the break with Tommy and Frank Mc Guigan getting the scores for their side. The second half saw a strong fightback from Ardboe as Nishy O’Neill and Gavin Wylie knocked over points for the O’Donovan Rossas but try as they might they could not overcome a strong rearguard action by Clonoe which earned the visitors a deserved win.

Cookstown failed to win for the sixth game in a row and find themselves still without points at the bottom of Division One following this 0-6 to 0-10 defeat against Moortown. It was the loughshore side that led at half time 0-3 to 0-2 but The Fr Rocks responded well after the break and a couple of John Gilmore points gave them hope. However Moortown rode out the storm and scores from Lee Kelly and PJ Quinn made sure of victory for Moortown.

Derrylaughan and and Moy played out an entertaining  0-12 to 1-9 draw in a game that was in the melting pot right up to the end. The Kevin Barrys led 7-4 at the break as Ciaran Gervin and his team mates capitalised on the chances they created in the first half hour. However Moy were a much improved side after the break and points from Karol Mc Quade and Colm Cavanagh plus a late Sean Cavanagh goal looked to have earned a win for the visitors. But up popped Liam Gervin with a late equalising point to earn a draw for the home side.

If ever a score line gave a false impression of a match then Greencastle 0-9 , Errigal Ciaran 4-12 is the one. This was no one sided fifteen point walloping as it might suggest, indeed the scoreboard read 0-8 to 2-8 with seven minutes left on the clock. Star of the night for Errigal was Stefan Tierney who got all four goals for his side including two inside a minute late in the second half which completely broke Greencastle hearts. The half time score was 2-4 to 0-6 for the visitors with Marty Conway getting half of Greencastle’s points. Sean Teague’s side will regret the total of eighteen wides that they managed to  run up over the hour. This win maintains the victors fine start to the league and ensures they remain joint top of the first division.

Coalisland took on Eglish at home last night and continued their recovery with a fine 0-15 to 0-11 win. This was a very open game of football with only one point separating the sides at the break as Coalisland led 0-7 to 0-6 with all the first half scores coming from play.Caolan Daly and Gregory Jordan got points for their side during the opening half and Daly scored three more as his team went in search of victory in the second thirty minutes. However The Fianna lads played some excellent football during that period as they edged out a four point win with Gerard Toner and Paddy Mc Neice among their scorers.



Advertise with us