Advertise with us

McAnallens Lift Second New South Wales League Title

Wednesday 18.07.2012
Team Talk Mag

Cormac McAnallens senior mens side lifted their second New South Wales league title in three years with a last gasp win over Clan na Gael in Sydney on 1st July. Scoreline McAnallens 2-6 Clan na Gael 1-8

Two second half goals from Ballinderry’s Aiden Heron pushed the Macs over the line, particularly the second which was scored with 3 minutes on the clock and his side two points down.

Clan na Gael started the game in lightning fashion and were six points to nil up after fifteen minutes. Paul Larkin (Meath) was a real livewire in fullforward and Frankie Ahern (Kerry) was controlling midfield for Clan.

Some badly needed positional switches were made by the macs and slowly but surely they mounted their comeback. Mickey Quigg from Kilrea came in to add some power in midfield alongsides the classy Emmy mcKenna from Eglish and this left Errigal Ciarans Damian McDermott free to slot back into a rock solid defence patrolled by Kieran McCartan and Benny McLaughlin (Carrickmore), Marty Swift (Killyclogher), Aiden Holland (Augher) and Cathal McRory (Errigal).

By halftime the deficit had been reduced to two following scores from McKenna, Cavans Ciaran Brady and John Collins from Roscommon.

The second half was a tighter affair after Heron scored his first goal on seven minutes, and at this stage it looked like his side would push on especially with the aid of a strong breeze. Clan na Gael had other ideas and when they quickly responded with a well worked Larkin goal, Macs were on the back foot once more.

Emmy mcKenna kicked a fine point to settle the McAnallen nerves and when Errigals Declan Quinn drove over from a long distance with five minutes remaining – the game was on a knife edge.

Class normally comes to the top on these occassions and when McKenna pumped a long ball into the Macs square, Aiden Heron coolly collected, turned and placed the ball well out of the keepers reach.

This was to be the last score of the game as McAnallens were able to hold onto
their lead and claim another NSW league title.



Advertise with us