Advertise with us

U16 Championship Wrap Up

Friday 02.09.2011
Team Talk Mag

Brackaville made the trip to play Moortown and they came away with a superb 5-16 to 4-8 victory. Che O’Donnell kept up his impressive form when scoring 2-9 with midfielder Rian McHugh not far behind him with 2-6 to his name, Caolan Barrett the other goal scorer for the Roes.

Donaghmore edged past Loughmacrory on a 2-12 to 2-10 score line with Philip Donnelly and Shea Hamill getting the gaols for the St.Patricks with H McGurk, E McLaughlin, Robert Quinn and A Quinn all playing well for the winners. Derrylaughan lost out to Fintona 2-18 to 0-13 with Stephen McGrath and Conor McCabe doing most of the scoring with John Donaghy in good form as well for the Kevin Barrys.

Omagh St Endas  overcame stout resistance from Errigal Ciaran winning 2-12 to 2-9 in a highly entertaining game last evening. The home side just about shaded play overall and goals from Joachim Smyth and Jude Campbell plus points from Michael Flanagan, Aaron Mc Cutcheon, Pauric Murphy, Danny Mullan, Riane Samir, Rion Mc Kenna, Dominic Mc Grath, Niall Mc Crory, Kris Lowe and John Mc Caughey ensuring they made it through what was a potentially dangerous draw. Mark Kavanagh hit four points for Errigal while their other scores came from Eoin Mc Nelis 1-1, Paddy O’Neill 0-3, Paudraig Mc Girr 1-0 and Paudge Mc Anenly 0-1. Others to impress for Errigal were Stevie Monaghan and Peter Cassidy.

Dromore got the better of Gael Naomh Padraig in a high scoring and dramatic game at Gardrum Park 4-11 to 4-10. Dromore were very much on top in the opening half leading 3-5 to 1-4 at the break with first half goals coming from Aidan Mc Grath, Pearse Muldoon and Ciaran Slevin while Declan Mc Nulty and Peter Teague were among their points scorers. The home side began the second half well hitting the first three scores of the half through Ciaran Mc Cormick, Declan Mc Nulty and Aidan Mc Grath and seemed to have things very much under control. They hit their fourth goal of the game on twenty minutes from Declan Mc Nulty and when Ciaran Mc Cormick knocked over a point with eight minutes left to put them 4-11 to 1-9 ahead they seemed home and hosed. However the Augher/Clogher combination showed great heart and determination in those remaining minutes to close the gap to a point and ensure a nail biting last few minutes for the home supporters.

Eglish had a deserved two point win over a gallant Ardboe side 3-10 to 1-14 with M Lynn 1-4, Barry Devlin 0-3, Aidan O’Neill 0-3, DD Mulgrew 0-2, Michael O’Neill 0-1 and Nathan Bell 0-1 on target for the Rossas while Kevin Coney also stood out for Ardboe.

Owen Roes survived a Championship scare from Dungannon Clarkes tonight in the opening round of the competition. Behind at the break the home side had to overcome a tenacious effort from the visitors before sealing a spot in the last eight.

The North Tyrone side made a great start when Charles O’Doherty knocked over from the throw in but Dungannon responded immediately from a free.

On the five minute mark Owen Roes struck for their only goal. Good work from Ryan McAleer and Michael Dooher allowed Ronan McNulty in for an excellent finish.

Stephen Harper knocked over a brace of scores as it looked like the home side would have it easy. However Dungannon struck back with a major of their own before the quarter ended.

The game was tight during these early exchanges in typical Championship fare. Nonetheless a scoreless spell was ended when Dungannon pounced for their second goal on 22 minutes after they’d won the kick out for a converted free.

Late scores however from Charles O’Doherty, Ronan McNulty and Ryan McAleer put Owen Roes ahead again as the half time whistle beckoned.

Deep in added time though the visitors struck for a third goal as the wing forward executed a perfect lob to edge the Clarkes ahead again.

Half Time: Owen Roes 1-6 Dungannon 3-2

The Clarkes scored first after the restart but the home side started to apply the pressure. Harper and Cathal McShane with two scores tied the game again.

Dungannon were still in the game and broke for a game leading score. Michael Dooher levelled for the Leckpatrick side before captain Ricky Devine gave them the lead once more.

Harper grabbed another score for Owen Roes but a late Dungannon free kept the game in the melting pot. It seemed The O’Neills were not about to bow out on home turf until a trio of injury time scores from Kevin Cairns, Eunan Hegarty and Cathal McShane saw them over the line and no more. Final score Owen Roes 1-15, Dungannon Clarkes 3-5.



Advertise with us