Advertise with us

Trillick And Derg Ladies Serve Up Thriller

Tuesday 13.08.2019
Team Talk Mag
Championship Football


Trillick and Castlederg ladies served up a real clinker of a championship quarter final at Drumquin on Tuesday evening before the Reds sealed a 2-10 to 0-13 win.

Iggy Gallagher’s team went into the game as slight favourites but there was little between the teams throughout a very competitive and hard fought game.

Castlederg started well with Shannon Lynch and Roisin Devlin dominating the early exchanges around the middle of the field. Points from Chloe Laird (2) and Laura Mc Sorley (2) put them 0-4 to 0-1 ahead after eleven minutes with Trillick’s only score coming from Fiona Owens.

Trillick began to get to grips with their opponents with Nuala Kelly, Orla Mc Sorley,  Dearbhaile Gallagher and Emma Brennan to the fore. Brennan landed two super points but Chloe Laird pointed to keep the Derg two in front. Shauna Mc Gurk and Chloe Laird exchanged scores before Fiona Owens tied the game with a brace of superb points.

With half time rapidly approaching Emma Laird put the Derg ahead but Trillick responded immediately when corner forward Kathleen Kelly slotted over to send the teams in at the break tied at seven apiece.

Trillick began the second half as if they meant business. Emma Brennan got possession straight from the throw in and raced through to finish to the net. A minute later the same player fired over a point to put Trillick four clear.

Castlederg responded well hitting four points without reply courtesy of Laura Mc Sorley (2), Shannon Lynch and Chloe Laird to tie the game once again. The play continued to ebb and flow with both teams creating chances and both defences being tested.

As the game entered the final quarter Trillick pulled clear with a point from  Emma Brennan and a superb goal from the boot of Shauna Mc Gurk.

Once again Castlederg were forced to dig deep and their response was immediate. A point from a Chloe Laird free reduced the deficit to three and then they were offered a real lifeline when a speculative ball from Kellie Meehan resulted in a penalty being awarded to the Derg. Laura Mc Sorley placed the kick low and hard to the right but Trillick goalkeeper Laura Barrett got down to make the save.

With only three minutes left Trillick used all their experience to run the clock down. Fiona Owens and Kellie Meehan swapped points but the Reds held on to make it through to the semi finals on a 2-10 to 0-13 score line.

Both teams deserve great credit for producing such a high quality sporting game.



Advertise with us